No announcement yet.

Oracle Could Still Make ZFS A First-Class Upstream Linux File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do hope something like the tainted kernel or an AFS/dtrace-like exception can be worked out for ZFS. Canonical and Debian are doing the right thing pushing forward. Keeping sources separate with separate licenses should be fine like the SFLC says.

I've only worked on small bugfixes for an OOT wifi kernel module*, and I don't think I was working on anything close to a 'derivative of the kernel.' If you're writing to POSIX interfaces, or the interface is simple enough, or has nothing to do with the core functions of the kernel, it can't be a derivative of the kernel. Is code that maintains a WiFi connection in a kernel module derivative of the kernel? I don't think so. I'm sure GPL people will disagree, and frankly I like the GPLv3 more day by day seeing the tivo-ization that's happened in the last 10 years, but we need to be able to integrate with other open source code.

*on github
    Last edited by audir8; 21 November 2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      I really don't see this happening. I _wish_ it would, but highly unprobable. Both ZFS and Solaris are reduced to form a basis for the ZFS Storage Appliance, and that's pretty much it, folks. And I'm not talking out of my @ss, that's what Oracle reps told us.
      I hate to be right again, but guess what: he's been fired.

Comment

Working...
      X