No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you say this is the most interesting release? Users have missed the chance to have Unity in the future, Canonical projects have failed, have folded down on Gnome Shell for desperation, and do you think this is positive?
    When it finishes an open source project I'm never happy ... the only good thing is that I've discovered openSUSE and Plasma 5!
    Ubuntu and Canonical have lost credibility, users switch to other distributions.
    Last edited by Charlie68; 19 October 2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Writting GUIs with C. Lel.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        How do you say this is the most interesting release?
        interesting != good

All he's saying is that a lot has changed. Wayland is in, Unity is out, Gnome is in, and the 32-bit desktop image is out. Mostly, I think he's reacting to the look & feel stuff. And he did say "arguably".

Comment

Originally posted by Bug77

Yeah, I remember I quite liked it too when I used it. I just haven't had a reason to run it in years, since KDE seems to run fine on virtually anything. At least when you don't hit a bug or something
          I'm a pacifist, I don't hit bugs

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Actually, the only downtime you get on Windows is because of updates. But that's exactly when you have to reboot Linux too.
            Stop kidding. Windows 10 does bsod more often than Windows 7. Furthermore, Windows updates are quite often a culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Stop kidding. Windows 10 does bsod more often than Windows 7. Furthermore, Windows updates are quite often a culprit.
              Surface 4 tablet, old game desktop, new game desktop, gaming laptop. All running Windows 10. Automatic updates are enabled. None of them bluescreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Surface 4 tablet, old game desktop, new game desktop, gaming laptop. All running Windows 10. Automatic updates are enabled. None of them bluescreen.
                Eject the disc drive while it's reading and there you go. Instant blue screen. Try it.

Comment

Nope. Just tried. I remember last seeing that particular way for BSOD in Win98.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Eject the disc drive while it's reading and there you go. Instant blue screen. Try it.
                    Do you mean a floppy drive, a USB memory stick, a CD/DVD/Bluray?

Or do you mean pulling the SATA cable off of the primary system drive while it's running? I wouldn't be surprised if that did cause a blue screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X