Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    [...]KDE seems to run fine on virtually anything. At least when you don't hit a bug or something
    I feel like you are kind of asking for trouble there... nomen est omen...
    Last edited by OneBitUser; 19 October 2017, 11:39 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I've been using KDE since the "2" days, it used to lead the way with aesthetics and I remember Gnome 2 looking as ugly as sin. I really like the look of Gnome now and I'm a bit bored of Plasma 5, it just doesn't look very polished. I'd probably have switched to Gnome if it was as easy to configure as KDE Plasma
      Unless you already have a theme you like, Plasma really needs you to play around with the color scheme. It looks really fantastic with a dark scheme. It offers so much more than Gnome it's funny. You can't help but to giggle a bit about how much more options it has to configure color configuration than gnome. Once you get it super refined it's so good. The best there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

The highest uptime you can get with Windows is when you're running it in vm on Linux. Too bad Ubuntu messed up with this release and unstable mess like Gnome. It used to be much better than Windows 10 ever was.
        Sadly, I get higher runtime with Windows than bare-metal Linux when X11 is brought into the equation. A crash or hard-lock once every couple days is pretty typical with GUI Linux in my experience. Running Linux inside a virtual machine, however, has been very stable for me and I like how I can easily integrate Windows software and games into it without dealing with the problems of Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I was taking a look at Ubuntu 17.10 this week, looking at the things they did to easy the transition from Unity.

- The side bar really helps, but need a little more contrast to highlight what application is active. Right now they put a small dot on the icons to indicate what app is running but is difficult to see what is the active one on the moment;

- There is a big loss in vertical space with the big bars in the applications, compared to what it used to be on Unity. Haters of the 16:9 screen ratio will be more upset than ever;

- What is this fixation with the clock? They need a more big reminder of the hour to leave work not a minute later? Putting it on the center of the top task bar instead of the right and being the only thing on the lock screen. Speaking of lock screen;

- I do not have a touchscreen. Why do you make me "slide" the screen with a mouse to put a password to finally unlock it?

- Why did the Gnome developers sacrificed the mouse/touchpad users on the Altar of Touchscreen ®? The thick applications bars, the hiding of menus, the ridiculous slide to unlock the lock screen, etc etc, making the live of mouse users miserable?

- The applet on the right taskbar is a ruge regression in usability. You used to do a lot of things in just 2 clicks, now everything is hided deep on the settings, just like Windows. For example, you could see you IP address in jut 2 clicks, now you need to go on network settings just to look at it, loosing a big advantage I used to throw in the face of Windows users, while I was explaining why Linux interface is more advanced and user friendly.

I know this text turn up a big rant, but sincerely I believe dropping Unity was a downgrade to Ubuntu. I really do.
          I basically got over my earlier complaints with Gnome 3 by switching to Cinnamon with LightDM as display manager. I use Fedora's Cinnamon spin and I love it. You might wanna try Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

If you press Esc on the lock screen you don't need to slide, it's a bit like pressing Cntl+Alt+Del on a windows machine to unlock
            Have you guys used GNOME 3.2x? Don't need to press or slide anything, just type the freaking password and press enter. C'mon.

Comment

Visually looks like crap, they should include by default some good themes and icons packs. Luckily it is an easy change for the enduser but still the default look and feel could be much better.

Comment

Server and minimal (netboot) did not dropped i686 yet.

And i686 packages are supported yet, so you can install from the minimal iso and select packages you want.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
                  Server and minimal (netboot) did not dropped i686 yet.

And i686 packages are supported yet, so you can install from the minimal iso and select packages you want.
                  A 32-bit Kubuntu ISO is also available:

Comment

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post

Have you guys used GNOME 3.2x? Don't need to press or slide anything, just type the freaking password and press enter. C'mon.
                    I can't remember what version it was I last tried, I do remember it being pretty though

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      A 32-bit Kubuntu ISO is also available:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...sktop-i386.iso
                      Yes. I was referring to the standard Ubuntu (Gnome).

Besides that, we still have Xubuntu 17.10 and Lubuntu 17.10 for i686 too:
                      http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...sktop-i386.iso
                      http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...sktop-i386.iso

Comment

Working...
                      X