Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Almost makes you wish there was a DE that lets you configure it to look like you describe above, doesn't it?
    XFCE?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I was taking a look at Ubuntu 17.10 this week, looking at the things they did to easy the transition from Unity.

- The side bar really helps, but need a little more contrast to highlight what application is active. Right now they put a small dot on the icons to indicate what app is running but is difficult to see what is the active one on the moment;

- There is a big loss in vertical space with the big bars in the applications, compared to what it used to be on Unity. Haters of the 16:9 screen ratio will be more upset than ever;

- What is this fixation with the clock? They need a more big reminder of the hour to leave work not a minute later? Putting it on the center of the top task bar instead of the right and being the only thing on the lock screen. Speaking of lock screen;

- I do not have a touchscreen. Why do you make me "slide" the screen with a mouse to put a password to finally unlock it?

- Why did the Gnome developers sacrificed the mouse/touchpad users on the Altar of Touchscreen ®? The thick applications bars, the hiding of menus, the ridiculous slide to unlock the lock screen, etc etc, making the live of mouse users miserable?

- The applet on the right taskbar is a ruge regression in usability. You used to do a lot of things in just 2 clicks, now everything is hided deep on the settings, just like Windows. For example, you could see you IP address in jut 2 clicks, now you need to go on network settings just to look at it, loosing a big advantage I used to throw in the face of Windows users, while I was explaining why Linux interface is more advanced and user friendly.

I know this text turn up a big rant, but sincerely I believe dropping Unity was a downgrade to Ubuntu. I really do.
      If you press Esc on the lock screen you don't need to slide, it's a bit like pressing Cntl+Alt+Del on a windows machine to unlock

Comment

XFCE?
        I believe anything that's not Gnome will do, but I haven't tried them all

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

If you press Esc on the lock screen you don't need to slide, it's a bit like pressing Cntl+Alt+Del on a windows machine to unlock
          Good to know. But they really should leave touchscreen stuff disabled when not detecting one.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I believe anything that's not Gnome will do, but I haven't tried them all
            As a KDE user, I believe XFCE is the closest thing you will find on the GTK land. Really flexible and resourceful. I can see why debianxfce has crush on it. If I had to go for a GTK desktop, it would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Not really. The CTRL+ALT+DEL thing actually had a purpose.

Comment

As a KDE user, I believe XFCE is the closest thing you will find on the GTK land. Really flexible and resourceful. I can see why debianxfce has crush on it. If I had to go for a GTK desktop, it would be my choice.
                Yeah, I remember I quite liked it too when I used it. I just haven't had a reason to run it in years, since KDE seems to run fine on virtually anything. At least when you don't hit a bug or something

Comment

Yeah, I do agree, but I just wish it had a more modern compositor. I like wobbly windows, animated window actions, and rotating cubes and such. It's just eye candy, but in this day and age it's a default expectation. Maybe with their GTK3 port it will happen, I don't know. (Which is exactly why it should be properly version controlled so a GTK2 and GTK3 XFCE can be installed side by side, but that's not gonna happen unfortunately.)

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                    He's just saying that it will ship sometime today...
                    And then a few hours later, he makes another article when the .iso's are up. It seems like wasted/duplicated effort, and it confused at least one person (the person I was responding to). I wasn't trying to make an international incident about it...

Comment

I've been using KDE since the "2" days, it used to lead the way with aesthetics and I remember Gnome 2 looking as ugly as sin. I really like the look of Gnome now and I'm a bit bored of Plasma 5, it just doesn't look very polished. I'd probably have switched to Gnome if it was as easy to configure as KDE Plasma

Comment

Working...
                      X