No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunate decision to stop supporting i686. There are still a lot of laptops with amd64 compatible cpu around where the bios restricts to running 32 bits. Those will be forced to another distro.

Comment

Too bad Gnome quality control is shit and the desktop is broken on multihead setups using Wayland... (Desktop crashes on display suspend.) It won't be fixed until 3.26.2 based on what I've heard. Basically Ubuntu is gonna upset many people with their ventures in unstable software. Gnome 3.26 has been the worst release in a long time IMO, having been a dedicated Gnome user since the advent of 3.0.
      Last edited by curfew; 19 October 2017, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
        Unfortunate decision to stop supporting i686. There are still a lot of laptops with amd64 compatible cpu around where the bios restricts to running 32 bits. Those will be forced to another distro.
        Uhm, no?
        The only 64bit devices restricted to 32 bit were some Atoms in tablets but that was worked around too and you can boot a 64bit Linux from a 32-bit UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          Too bad Gnome quality control is shit and the desktop is broken on multihead setups using Wayland... (Desktop crashes on display suspend.) It won't be fixed until 3.26.2 based on what I've heard. Basically Ubuntu is gonna upset many people with their ventures in unstable software. Gnome 3.26 has been the worst release in a long time IMO, having been a dedicated Gnome user since the advent of 3.0.
          Ubuntu has a long history of shipping buggy software not ready for prime time.
          Good to see that they didn't lose their special touch for that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Michael got lazy and set this article to auto post at midnight or 1AM (DST and timezones and all that good stuff). I guess he didn't want to get "scooped" by all of the other Linux news aggregates out there...
            He's just saying that it will ship sometime today...

Comment

I've been running the daily build for a while and it is really nice.
              I've been looking forward to Wayland for a very long time but I still run the X.Org session because it works better.
              The Wayland have problems with window placement/positioning, and lacks animation on Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right, etc.
              Also only the GNOME applications run natively on Wayland. Other things such as Firefox, Chrome and all Electron-based applications (such as Atom, Spotify, VS Code, etc) all run via XWayland.

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              I like the Gnome experience in Ubuntu. But in the last days, I tried Windows 10 and I like it. No crashes in contrast to Ubuntu 17.10 (Gnome Shell) and very, very fast!
              Yes, Windows 10 is very nice.
              I've also experienced crashed with GNOME Shell on Ubuntu 17.10 but I got rid of them by disabling extensions in GNOME Tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Gnome 3 developers are sadistic and gnome 3 users are masochists.
                You will never know how wonderful it is to have this little thing called *CHOICE*. It's incredible how easy it is to simply use something else and then promote what you think it's right, so you don't need to insult those who took a different path. But look what you and others are doing... promoting hate, for nothing. Sorry, it's not helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  Yeah the whole new monitor configuration system was pretty horribly broken in 3.26.0. They've had to pour in fixes after the release... https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/log/?h=gnome-3-26 for example. Another example of "C is a terrible language, please stop writing code in it." ?

Comment

the worst since ever

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                      I like the Gnome experience in Ubuntu. But in the last days, I tried Windows 10 and I like it. No crashes in contrast to Ubuntu 17.10 (Gnome Shell) and very, very fast!
                      oh yes, when it upgrades is fast fast, go trolling to another place

Comment

Working...
                      X