No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Put At 0.6% For September, Contrary To Other Inflated Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Put At 0.6% For September, Contrary To Other Inflated Numbers

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Put At 0.6% For September, Contrary To Other Inflated Numbers

While some bogus Linux market-share reports put the Linux desktop usage at over 6% for the month prior, the Valve-reported Steam Linux numbers decreased month over month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are we assuming that all Linux users play games? I use Linux and never had any desire to use Steam, and could not care less about its existence ans bogus statistics.

Comment

It would be nice if Valve could take their Steam Machine launch to the next level soon.

Atari is coming out with a Linux based gaming console in 2018.

AMD DC is really close to being mainlined for vsync, freesync, hdmi audio and other amd critical features.

I seriously hope we are rapidly approaching a point where Valve can make it past the hiccup and get Steam Machines into full gear to fortify the platform ensuring games are no longer only controlled by X-Corporation and X-Store where they can just say YES or NO to distributing a game to consumers.

I hope to see some Raven Ridge APU steam machines if they can pack a decently powerful punch.
      Last edited by ElectricPrism; 01 October 2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Does steam properly detect Wine as Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          It would be nice if Valve could take their Steam Machine launch to the next level soon.
          Don't need a new Steam Machine.
          Need a normal and working user interface. Desktop. Preferably with brand DE.

Users don't want Linux not because it is "bad hardware or it works in itself is badly", but because there is a bad software at all levels, IMHO. From the drivers to DE.
          Linux is now better, but users also need stability.

Comment

About the statistics: we should not be perceived too dramatically. Judging by the growth of Windows 7 and Chinese language, it is clear that the percentage of players on different platforms is changing because of the influx of Chinese gamers.

Comment

Steam != desktop. While I think that the 6% desktop usage is almost certainly a rubbish figure, Linux is used on the desktop in many large institutions and government offices which of course will never install Steam.

Comment

Windows has too many AAA blockbuster titles that can't come to Linux. So I'm not surprised that its got a more of the market share recently (no PUBG for Linux for example), I mean lets face it AMD drivers are still going through huge development and experimental changes under Linux so its no good for them (until it exits this unstable period of development, DC drivers v1.0 sort of thing.).
                Last edited by theriddick; 02 October 2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Netstat and steam are measuring two different things so it does not surprise me that they have different values.
                  ​​​​
                  Steam usage is probably down because the last couple of months there has not been much in the way of big titles that have shown up. The better the titles that show up the more usage steam Linux will get.

I think we won't see widespread usage on Linux for gaming until we can get a lot more games written in Vulcan so portability is simpler.

Comment

Yep, as long as massive AAA or hugely popular titles keep getting released for Windows only, then we won't see steamstat shift all that much except downward. I love Linux, but even I won't be flicking between a windows/linux dual boot every hour, I just stay on Windows for the time being until maybe in future when AMD drivers are on par with NVIDIA and I have new GPU hardware.

But even then, no skyrim/fallout4 etc etc... and to run those via Wine at 4k (assuming it works by then) you would need a NVIDIA V100 120 tflop card!

Comment

Working...
                    X