Microsoft Becomes A "Premium Sponsor" To The Open Source Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
    And yet Linux hasn't disappeared. Wierd.
    And yet, Google is looking to replace Linux with its Magenta kernel, eliminating over 2B devices running Linux - in response to Oracle and Microsoft.

Comment

Enlighten me please.. how exactly is that possible? Doesn't magically turn things into closed source proprietary products.
      Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it. Heard the phrase 'keep your friends close, and your enemies closer'? Microsoft has no vested interest in Linux. Linux is their competitor. Their only interest in any of this, is to better understand what they're up against, and leverage that knowledge for competitive advantage. Same reason Chevy buys a few brand new Fords every year, to dissect them and analyze them.

Comment

Yea I know what it means, somebody spits that up as a reflex action every time the word Microsoft appears in an article. Still a lot of tin foil going on however. No matter what the article is about, the evil Microsoft fortune tellers pop up. (And more often than not completely disregard the other companies that are actually doing what they're complaining about.)

And yet Linux hasn't disappeared. Wierd.

Nope, I grew up on Unix long before Linux was even a thing. One of the first OS's I ever used was.. gasp.. Microsoft Xenix.

Still a lot of off-topic rhetoric.
        Your post reads like a shill, are you a shill? MS is known to employ them.

Comment

Well, since Microsoft loves opensource so much now, Bill decided to jump the sinking ship of Windows Phone and now he uses a Android phone:

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

And yet, Google is looking to replace Linux with its Magenta kernel, eliminating over 2B devices running Linux - in response to Oracle and Microsoft.
            It's ok though. It'll kinda suck that I can't say Android runs a linux kernel anymore. But it's actually ok, most android devices will never work with upstream kernel sources. So for all intents and purposes it's basically proprietary. I've always considered Googles usage of linux to be an attempt at eee anyways. It just won't work though because it has a copyleft.

EDIT: Just look at drivers for android devices, they are all proprietary. And a -lot- of them are not compliant with standards. None of them contribute to linux. It's been more a drain than a boon.
            Last edited by duby229; 26 September 2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's ok though. It'll kinda suck that I can't say Android runs a linux kernel anymore. But it's actually ok, most android devices will never work with upstream kernel sources. So for all intents and purposes it's basically proprietary. I've always considered Googles usage of linux to be an attempt at eee anyways. It just won't work though because it has a copyleft.
              It is not clear at all that Google would end replacing the Linux kernel, easier said than done, I think they are doing it mostly for show and as a plan B.

Comment

I just read an article today that Bill Gates now uses an Android phone. It would be funny if it was the Pixel, but they didn't mention the model.

Microsoft is very co-dependent on Linux, and they know it. They absolutely want to be insiders to be able to have efficient Linux VMs running inside Windows Server, a product they make nice money on. I haven't tried WS 2016, but the WS2012 had serious issues with VM performance, IMO. I've heard the progress they made with WS2016 is huge, but I'm not sure.

The WS platform itself is an obvious choice for most corporations, since it has all the checklist points that upper management likes. Which are the same ones why most corporations use Oracle, SAS, SAP, Salesforce, and all that other junk that never really works, but hits those checklist requirements.

Comment

I remember reading a claim from Microsoft that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. If they are looking at EEE, I wonder if they plan on making a new operating system that uses an out of tree Linux kernel, like Android, except ensure incompatibility. Consider that they don't really make much money from selling Windows to end-users, it's all about the enterprise and professional sphere, including server. I'd think it would be too much work to port their massive GUI code over to work with the Linux kernel, but who knows what they meant by the statement. After all, they list an end-of-support date.
                  Last edited by Prescience500; 26 September 2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    I remember reading a claim from Microsoft that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows.
                    You've misunderstood that claim. The point of it isn't that MS will drop Windows - it's that (for now), their policy is more of a rolling-release strategy, where they'll just keep upgrading 10 instead of eventually releasing an 11 (in practice, I doubt they'll keep that policy for more than a few years).

Comment

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

The "core linux guys" don't really care about linux becoming a user-friendly operating system. They actually prefer it complex and off-putting because that requires their indispensable and well paid expertise. They seem to totally neglect the user aspect of the OS.

Linux is a great hardware operating system, but very poor as a user operating system. The amount of knowledge it takes to be proficient at it pretty much mandates that's all you are going to be proficient in. People want tools to do stuff with them. Not just for the sake of knowing how the tools work. That should be neatly tucked away, so people can use the tools intuitively and do their stuff, rather than spend hours on end looking stuff up on the internet, typing in the console and just to have things fail to work as expected.

The "core linux guys" would be happy to pocket m$'s money, and they would be grateful for m$ to do some of the low level work for them as well, and in exchange, they would be expected to give m$ the only thing it cares about, it's sole motivation behind the platinum membership, which is... wait for it... to have the influence and control to make sure linux never ever gets to a point where it could threaten its monopoly on desktops.

Which is possible, regardless of the anemic efforts of the "core linux guys" in terms of graphics shells, sooner or later someone will come around and make something that is actually good. We've seen this in the face of android - make a simple graphics shell, provide a few APIs, and in just a few years, linux became the dominant OS for mobile devices. Of course, as I noted above, in the case of android, linux is only used as the hardware's operating system. Something it is very good at, which is also why it dominates servers, super-computers and embedded, pretty much the only place where it still sucks big time is desktops. And I don't mean internet browsing or content consumption or office work. Linux gets that stuff done now. I mean prosumer usage scenarios, design, engineering, content creation - software that is complex and demanding, with users who are invested into using that and have neither the capacity nor the time nor the desire to become linux gurus, which is what you need to be in order to use linux for anything above trivial.

Comment

Working...
                      X