Microsoft Becomes A "Premium Sponsor" To The Open Source Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Becomes A "Premium Sponsor" To The Open Source Initiative

Phoronix: Microsoft Becomes A "Premium Sponsor" To The Open Source Initiative

This shouldn't come as a big surprise given Microsoft's Linux/open-source moves in the past couple of years, including joining the Linux Foundation and more, but their latest sponsorship comes down to joining the Open Source Initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

EEE in action..

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
      EEE in action..
      Enlighten me please.. how exactly is that possible? Doesn't magically turn things into closed source proprietary products.

FUD in action..

Comment

"Winter is coming." - Game of Thrones

Whenever I read about Microsoft doing something positive with regards to open source can I not stop myself from thinking the worst.

"Microsoft is coming." - ...

Comment

In some areas MS became better. In others it's as bad as before. Like not supporting Vulkan for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by jbysmith View Post

Enlighten me please.. how exactly is that possible? Doesn't magically turn things into closed source proprietary products.

FUD in action..
            Look up the definition of eee, It's Embrace, which is where we are now. Then it's Extend, which is to make it incompatible, and as long as they choose licensing like BSD or similar they can do that, And then it's Extinguish, which requires no explanation.

EDIT: That's why licensing with a copyleft is so important, it makes eee completely impossible.
            Last edited by duby229; 26 September 2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

FUD in action..
              Microsoft is charging Android manufacturers $1B/yr for Linux patents, and giving a couple million back in PR (and to keep that revenue stream going). And if you don't think that Microsoft's lawyers are working on figuring out how its contributions in software and dollars can be used to claim ownership, then you're probably too young to remember the thousands of companies that Microsoft consumed to get where it is. Remember, patent law allowed a company to take away the lawn string trimmer ("Weed Eater") from the man that invented it. It's not about logic or what's right, it's what lawyers do.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Look up the definition of eee
                Yea I know what it means, somebody spits that up as a reflex action every time the word Microsoft appears in an article. Still a lot of tin foil going on however. No matter what the article is about, the evil Microsoft fortune tellers pop up. (And more often than not completely disregard the other companies that are actually doing what they're complaining about.)

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
                Microsoft is charging Android manufacturers $1B/yr for Linux patents
                And yet Linux hasn't disappeared. Wierd.

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
                you're probably too young to remember the thousands of companies that Microsoft consumed to get where it is.
                Nope, I grew up on Unix long before Linux was even a thing. One of the first OS's I ever used was.. gasp.. Microsoft Xenix.

Still a lot of off-topic rhetoric.
                Last edited by jbysmith; 26 September 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  In some areas MS became better. In others it's as bad as before. Like not supporting Vulkan for instance.
                  Microsoft only does one thing and one thing only, whatever is best for Microsoft, that is why anyone who partners with Microsoft ends having trouble.

No one in the industry seems to understand or ever learn this fact of life, MS acts with a nice front while they suck you dry from behind or drop you like dead weight.

Comment

Yea I know what it means, somebody spits that up as a reflex action every time the word Microsoft appears in an article. Still a lot of tin foil going on however. No matter what the article is about, the evil Microsoft fortune tellers pop up. (And more often than not completely disregard the other companies that are actually doing what they're complaining about.)

And yet Linux hasn't disappeared. Wierd.

Nope, I grew up on Unix long before Linux was even a thing. One of the first OS's I ever used was.. gasp.. Microsoft Xenix.

Still a lot of off-topic rhetoric.
                    So in other words MS wants to have their cake and eat it too....What that means is, because other people are doing it, that -must- mean it's ok for them to do it too.... I'm sorry, but that's a hypocritical mindstate.

Comment

Working...
                    X