Dell Joins The Khronos Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    It could have been worse. They could have decided to sponsor TV shows instead. Like you-know-who ... No, wait, they already do or try to.
    I remember the first series of IT Crowd being pretty damn 'open source' friendly, with Ubuntu and freedom stickers everywhere. Subsequent series pretty much became Windows-based and one episode purely a Window-washer punchline versus Mac.

Thankfully the show was always less about the particulars of IT and more about humour from the user's side.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Meanwhile developers continue to make their games DX12 only. Shrug.
      Could you please give some examples?

I'm curious in quantity and quality of DX12 vs Vulkan based games. I am interested in quantity and quality is because high quality games usually influence others. In my experience Doom 2016 has increased Vulkan's reputation. Star Citizen is going from D3D11 & D3D12 (planned) to Vulkan only (planned) which is also a big one for Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        Could you please give some examples?

I'm curious in quantity and quality of DX12 vs Vulkan based games. I am interested in quantity and quality is because high quality games usually influence others. In my experience Doom 2016 has increased Vulkan's reputation. Star Citizen is going from D3D11 & D3D12 (planned) to Vulkan only (planned) which is also a big one for Vulkan.
        I'm pretty sure Microsoft is only waiting for the right moment to jump onto the Vulkan bandwagon. Even Sony, Nintendo and Co. all have said to support Vulkan in the future, which means for Microsoft their XBox can directly compete with the PlayStation and they don't even have to pay any licensing fees to Sony to do so once to switch to Vulkan. Only they are in no hurry to do so and have only to gain from it. So I'm certain it's going to happen eventually and all Microsoft has to do is to take the path of least resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Meanwhile developers continue to make their games DX12 only. Shrug.
          meanwhile, if you are an indie developing a dx12 game, MS will send you one of their dx12 experts to help you on your dx12 implementation. Sadly, since khronos is a weird thing and not a profit company, they cant do that.

Not to mention, indie games being developed today are probably going to be released 5 years in the future, and to put their limited resources on dx12 makes sense since it also covers xbox one, and w10 will keep growing. Khronos right now is loosing the api race (again), all we can do is to expect than their new vulkan portability initiative is going to be a success.

Comment

Working...
          X