Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Formally Rolls Out Pipewire For Being The "Video Equivalent of PulseAudio"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingu View Post
    What community would that be?
    ours, not theirs, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      If pipewire is meant to be useful, I sure hope it is nothing like pulseaudio. On every system that I need audio to work at, pulseaudio is the first component I remove, using ALSA directly, instead.
      Unless you are building an audio workstation I don't see what issues PA is giving you.
      Pulseaudio had no issues on anything I've used OpenSUSE or Linux Mint Debian on in the last 3 years.

"User A to use audio device X, while user B uses audio device Y on the same computer at the same time"..
      Pulseaudio works by default on a per-user basis, so that should as easy as changing pulseaudio per-user files in their home directories.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 20 September 2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

How come there are so many completely clueless trolls on here complaining about progress in Linux? Pulseaudio and systemd are both major wins for Linux as a platform, retards who have not written a single line of code or sent a single bug report should just be quiet.

Comment

Haha, it is the Current Year and troll still hate systemd and pulseaudio. I never had a problem with these since a couple if years already. Idk, maybe switch from your crappy hardware with badly supported audio drivers.

"Anticompetitive". No, it is as competitive as you get. If you don't like it then continue using shell scripts. Can't blame distributions they choose superior system. Same goes for pulseaudio.

Shout out to red had devs. Keep up the good work, the silent 99% majority supports your efforts in making Linux superior platform that it already is.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Unless you are building an audio workstation I don't see what issues PA is giving you.
            Pulseaudio had no issues on anything I've used OpenSUSE or Linux Mint Debian on in the last 3 years.

.Pulseaudio works by default on a per-user basis, so that should as easy as changing pulseaudio per-user files in their home directories.
            And your experiences are yours. On Gentoo PA just simply pauses the audio by itself for completely unexplainable reasons. There has been no input on it, no advice, no solution. It's been this way since at least 3 years. Plus there's the multiple seconds of latency that is completely unavoidable. That also has had no input, no advice and no solution. It those two major bugs that make it unusable for -me-. It's plainly obvious how experiences can differ.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

And your experiences are yours. On Gentoo PA just simply pauses the audio by itself for completely unexplainable reasons. There has been no input on it, no advice, no solution. It's been this way since at least 3 years. Plus there's the multiple seconds of latency that is completely unavoidable. That also has had no input, no advice and no solution. It those two major bugs that make it unusable for -me-. It's plainly obvious how experiences can differ.
              Where's the bug report? Never seen this on my machines, sounds more like a Gentoo specific issue. Due to use flags, masks and lots of other factors not one Gentoo box is the same either I guess. If it's reproducible on Gentoo and nobody was able to debug it in 3 years then I'd say that sounds to me like the Gentoo community is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Assuming it's true (and I have no way to check it is on Gentoo), that's a Gentoo issue, not a PulseAudio issue.

Same as Ubuntu that for some reason manages to have their KDE boot in 1 minute on a SSD and use a ton more RAM than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                  Where's the bug report? Never seen this on my machines, sounds more like a Gentoo specific issue. Due to use flags, masks and lots of other factors not one Gentoo box is the same either I guess. If it's reproducible on Gentoo and nobody was able to debug it in 3 years then I'd say that sounds to me like the Gentoo community is dead.
                  It's not even a Gentoo-specific issue. Sounds like an issue with his setup.

Comment

I hate to point out the obvious, but if they're so determined to sell this as "the video equivalent of PulseAudio" why didn't they just call it "PulseVideo"?

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Check Ubuntu bug tracker. They already exist, Check Mints bug tracker. The audio pausing for completely unknown reasons has been reported extensively for both of those distributions as well. And the multiple seconds of audio latency has widely known for years.

Check this out. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio
                      Many, many many of those bug rep[orts are directly related to the audio outputs pausing for completely unknown reasons. Where the solution is to simply open up pavucontrol and unpuase the output. It's obviously a long standing upstream bug.

And I'm reasonably sure these bugs are directly related, but I don't know enough.

Last edited by duby229; 20 September 2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X