Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Formally Rolls Out Pipewire For Being The "Video Equivalent of PulseAudio"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipewire should be incorporated into systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

Pipewire has no GStreamer dependency, although we might have some GStreamer using sample applications, if that is the case these are or should be possible to disable in the build system.
      how can do it? (disable enterely, inclusive build dependency)

EDIT: done(?)
      Code:
      rm -fr src/gst
      for i in $(find . -type f -name '*meson*'); do sed '/gst/d' -i ${i}; done
      Last edited by sl1pkn07; 19 September 2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if this will eventually replace PulseAudio? It seems to hint at this, but not say it outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          So missing hardware acceleration?
          I was convinced it was a general audio/video server to get rid of pulseaudio as well...

Comment

I don't think it will replace Pulseaudio, looks more like this is for video (and includes audio as well since the two are sometimes intertwined).

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Pipewire should be incorporated into systemd.
              Can I say, hellz to tha naw!

Comment

Are there any Miracast related plans? I'm looking forward to being able to cast my android screen to my desktop (desktop-as-a-sink) or casting my desktop or a single window to my TV (desktop-as-a-source). Maybe even being able to add a virtual Miracast display straight from desktop settings. I'm not sure if PipeWire is necessary for any of those.

There are some projects available like Miraclecast/libwfd but development seems to have stagnated and Linux desktop still does not have any easy to use solution. It's strange when even a cheap Android phones/AndroidTV boxes can do that and the code is there (either Android's, Miraclecast or libwfd). We didn't have Intel's WiDi and we still don't have Miracast.
                Last edited by kruger; 19 September 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  Does anyone know if this will eventually replace PulseAudio? It seems to hint at this, but not say it outright.
                  Yeah, plus there was discussion about that here on Phoronix forums. I'm interested to know if it can be a replacement for PA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    Will it take years until it's ready and shipped by default like PulseAudio?
                    Of course it will! Nothing new is trouble free from the start, it will take getting the software out there and into user hands to turn up all the issues it may or may not have. Refinement isn't a bad thing that is how Linux has gotten to the point it is, the same idea applies to many software platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                      Yes, it will eventually. But it will take time. Until then they will be used side-by-side. PipeWire for video and PulseAudio for audio.

Comment

Working...
                      X