Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Thanks Red Hat!
    AMD is shit and cant even develop their own device drivers.
    the troll level its over 9000!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twysock View Post
      Is this poop slinging really necessary?
      uid stays for the sole purpose of slinging mud, pay it no heed.

Comment

Thanks Red Hat!
        No need to slag AMD here, we are doing collaborative development with people from AMD, Intel and NVidia on an ongoing basis and of course extra work ensuring their drivers work correctly on specific versions of RHEL and Fedora. So this is not about us doing a job for anyone, more about making sure there is core infrastructure for the card manufacturers to hook into and that the drivers work will with the linux kernel APIs and Mesa.

Comment

Thanks Red Hat!
          Show respect to developers who actually are doing good work and a lot of heavy lifting in the kernel driver.

Comment

Thanks Red Hat!
            This is the stupidest comment ever made.

* AMD has openly published all the engineering documents for their cards.
            http://developer.amd.com/resources/d...uides-manuals/
            * AMD PAYS a team of developers internally to work on the open source kernel driver. (I personally know at least 2)
            https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...r&q=%40amd.com
            * Red Hat is doubling down on Radeon HD support because the open source drivers are so far along for it.

This is in contrast to:

* Nvidia not releasing any GPU documentation (except for maybe a few old cards)
            * Nvidia paying 0 developers to work on open source code.
            https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...=%40nvidia.com
            * Open source developers reverse engineering Nvidia's cards for basic support.

Nvidia's closed-source drivers used to kick fglrx's ass... but those days are changing. AMD seems to be playing the long-game.

EDIT: Add sources.
            Last edited by kallisti5; 12 September 2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Little OT anecdote....I just built a Ryzen 5 machine with RX560 to replace my old AthlonII 620 machine (which will go to the kid). I'm running Tumbleweed latest (yes, amdgpu is there by default). I pulled the disks (SSD and 2 HDs, ext4 and ntfs as it's a dual-boot) and put them in the new machine. Fixed boot device in BIOS, booted to recovery mode, changed /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf to remove all Radeon references and reboot. Done! Working system complete (except HDMI audio, which is known). Literally building a kernel less than 30 minutes after installing the hard drives in the new machine (which is generations beyond the old one). Btw, don't try this with Windows of any sort, even sysprep will fail you.

Point here is, just think about and appreciate the eco-system that is in place (and continues to improve) that allows this type of h/w upgrade. Thx to all.
              Last edited by Noee; 13 September 2017, 12:35 PM. Reason: Eeek, wrong conf path

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                Who has more Linux graphics driver developers? AMD or Red Hat?
                amd has more

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I've seen companies looking for people with 5 years of Swift experience. Swift is 3 years old.
                  not every recruiter understands what is written in job description

Comment

Originally posted by Twysock View Post

Is this poop slinging really necessary?
                    Yeah, because I get pissed off!
                    I use Intel and at least they can hire their own developers.
                    Now I know to continue using Intel and not switch to AMD because they not putting in the work.

Comment

Yeah, because I get pissed off!
                      I use Intel and at least they can hire their own developers.
                      Now I know to continue using Intel and not switch to AMD because they not putting in the work.
                      See, it's posts just like this one that make me wish there was a hate button to select. I know I'd get hated on hardcore, but at moments just like this one, it'd be so worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X