No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Looking For Another Developer To Work On Open-Source AMD Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm waiting for an RX560 to arrive. (Still comparably pricy due to the miners, even though this one probably isn't used for mining.) But of course I decided to go with AMD - freedom drivers rule, and that card was a very good compromise of GPU power, energy efficency, modern features and attractive price range (would have spent more if I had more money).
    Now looking forward to recompile mesa w. radeonsi and libdrm/kernel with amdgpu and xf86-video-amdgpu.

In that context it's good to see some distributor stepping up (again) and hiring forces to aid the AMD-ATI GPU progress!

(And yes, I'm looking for work in a different field of science, but the job offers look sometimes even more horrible... maybe meant to scare people off or just "boast" about the enterpise like "look, competition, we're only taking people who got the Field's medal / Nobel prize)

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
      we are doing collaborative development with people from AMD, Intel and NVidia on an ongoing basis
      yes, you are helping nvidia to make closed drivers

Comment

To answer the question who's got more (AMD)-GPU related devs: definitely AMD. Regardless of Valve or distributors. Even the Display Core (ex-DAL) team looked like 10+ people on the photo, and that wasn't "our" core team we have floating by in the forums every now and then. Plus there must be a blob team and a bunch of devs for the CPU related things / virtualization and whatsnot.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          I know your comment wasn't directed at me but as bystander in this that sorta keeps up a bit, umm that sounds like nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I use Intel and at least they can hire their own developers.
            it is easy because they have no hardware
            Now I know to continue using Intel and not switch to AMD because they not putting in the work.
            lol, intel does not compete with amd in gpus. nice example of "idiots prefer intel"

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              as bystander
              as uneducated bystander

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                Ben Skeggs works with nouveau.

Comment

Thanks Red Hat!
                  AMD is shit and cant even develop their own device drivers.
                  Well, I'm happier on AMD than Nvidia under linux....

----

Anyways, wish the guy who gets this best of luck and I look forward to the improvements.
                  Linux Open source drivers is currently beating my Windows experience when it comes to Desktop experience...
                  I'm on bleeding edge Vega..
                  Last edited by oleyska; 12 September 2017, 06:49 PM. Reason: added stuff below ----

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                    the troll level its over 9000!!
                    True trolling would be me sending in my resume.

(Would Adam Jackson keep his word and quit if i do join? I rather doubt it.)
                    Last edited by libv; 12 September 2017, 08:35 PM. Reason: ajax -> adam jackson

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
                      * AMD has openly published all the engineering documents for their cards.
                      Wrong. AMD stopped handing out docs for anything but the 3d engine ISA the second the AMD/SUSE partnership died.

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
                      * Red Hat is doubling down on Radeon HD support because the open source drivers are so far along for it.
                      The only thing Redhat doubled down on with RadeonHD was smearing it with shit ;p
                      Last edited by libv; 12 September 2017, 08:42 PM. Reason: specify trashing.

Comment

Working...
                      X