No announcement yet.

IPv10 Draft Specification Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you go through the (relatively small) effort to setup ipv6 in your lan, it's actually very useful as autoconfigured addresses remove the need for statically configured ips. You can use it (with ULA addresses) even if your isp doesn't support ipv6 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

"We hope that publishing this information will help Internet providers, website owners, and policy makers as the industry rolls out IPv6."

Those are not ordinary people. In a home LAN, you do nothing with ipv6.
      In Finland basically all cable modem users have native IPv6. Many ADSL vendors give it too. No one advertises it, it's just provided in addition to IPv4

Comment

The issue is that in third world countries, devices that ISP is providing to users don't even support IPv6, so there's that.

Comment

This is a good example of why it is unlikely I will ever be a subscriber to phoronix. the quality is just to low. Was it to hard to do at least 5 minutes of research before posting this garbage. Its clear reading this (all 9 pages) that this protocol is done by a troll or someone with serious mental issues.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
            The issue is that in third world countries, devices that ISP is providing to users don't even support IPv6, so there's that.
            How could they not? I haven't seen a network device that didn't speak IPv6 in a decade. Not everybody configures IPv6, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              In Finland basically all cable modem users have native IPv6. Many ADSL vendors give it too. No one advertises it, it's just provided in addition to IPv4
              Really, do they? I haven't seen any support on my cable from Elisa. Quick checking on the Internet seems to indicate that no one else has either. These are from a few months ago (in Finnish, apologies for anyone that can't read it):
              https://twitter.com/Elisa_aspa/statu...95702097883136
              https://palsta.elisa.fi/laajakaistal...tilanne-506132

IPv6 on mobile on the other hand is very much in use on most operators as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

How could they not? I haven't seen a network device that didn't speak IPv6 in a decade. Not everybody configures IPv6, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
                Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think THOMSON TG782 has it

Comment

That just made me think, if I interviewed an applicant for my company, and wanted to check his general knowledge about IT, an interesting question could be: "What do you think are the 3 most difficult transitions in the history of computers".
                  The 2 first hands down should be 32 bits > 64 bits and IPv4 > IPv6. Then for the 3rd I'm thinking year 2000 or euro, but it didn't make any actual wave. Then GMT > UTC, but this is not really a transition, it's just time zones and time synchro is a difficult topic. Any other idea?

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think THOMSON TG782 has it
                    I haven't seen a Thomson TG782, so there

Comment

Not really. Windows Server 2003 and XP had IPv6 support, for goodness sake. Most cell phone networks use IPv6 because there are simply too many phones to give them all IPv4 addresses.

And the smaller, third world countries are the ones with the fewest IPv4 addresses to start with. Their IP blocks were grabbed away by or sold to cloud data centers.

Comment

Working...
                      X