Purism's Librem 5 Is Nearing $100k In Funding, But A Long Journey Remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

So? Why would anyone from the Free world care? A closed source company using a CLAed framework is quite the opposite of librem5.

Please don't mention closed source Sailfish anymore.
    Only because my answer proved you statement to not be true you have to go full attack on many unrelated things.
    If you want the open source Sailfish without Sailfish UI then download Mer, i tried Mer/Nemo with glacier ux and maybe we will see it run on Xperia X in the future.
    And yes Qt is far more tested for smartphones.

I wonder how Purism will handle all the licensing it will need to be able to sell the phone pre-installed with PureOS in the US.
    I wonder if librem 5 even will be able to connect a carrier here in Europe.
    A smartphone is a lot more complected then an laptop and a lot more IP that you need to license.
    We would all like a project like this so succeed but a don't think it's possible to develop a fully functional smartphone that is all open software and hardware with so little resources, it may as well turn out to be an almost useless brick that sends messages over WiFi and only has basic functionality.
    And we will be able to install other Linux distributions, i think that should require a lot of work or do they expect to upstream all power management and all other stuff needed or maybe the device won't handle advanced power management or EAS at all.
    Embedded devices like phones has a lot of custom code and it can't all be upstreamed.
    They should be looking at Mer since it's the project that has solutions for many problems they will face but instead i get the feeling that they aim at running almost stock debian.
    I need to see the product before i pay anything.
    This project has to much NIH so i think it may not end up being anything at all.
    You can pre-order the new 40th anniversary Blu-Ray release here:US -http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013P0WZVSUK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monty-Python-Anniversary-...
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 27 August 2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Seeing how crowdfunding campaigns tend to get the largest amounts of donations in the first few days and then the last few days the two month campaign window is starting to make a lot of sense... I still wish them the best, but I'm too much of a pessimist to be optimistic about this campaign.

Also, if it's supposed to be all libre, what about the firmware for the modems and other wireless hardware? Those things tend to be treated like they're incriminating documents by the manufacturers of said hardware so not even companies who use them tend to have full access to the source code let alone have the ability to release it to the public. Is NXP Semi, the manufacturer of the hardware they're using, allowing them to release all of the firmware to the public as well or is this device basically a white box running on top of a black one?

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
        $600 for specs that would even today be low end. Maybe at two hundred less the price premium would be acceptable, but, yeah, no.
        Most serious Bitcoin/cryptocurrency enthusiasts won't care about 100$ price premium. Or lack of OLED 120Hz display. Or how "selife camera" performs. Or fingerprint sensor.

Comment

Yeah, you are right that national and international laws have to be respected. The product is phones not hackable noise generators.

By truly free I meant copyleft code, not just some scammy CLA-ware.
          I don't understand, why is baseband so hard?

Comment

Danielnez. Librem 5 is about collaboration. CLA-ware can never be a place for collaboration when the stake holders flat out refuse to surrender Free code to evil scams.
            I can see ban number 5 on the horizon.

Comment

I'm all for open source, but $600 for a smartphone is ridiculous (Apple junkies will disagree but that only shows how insane they are). $200 is an absolute maximum for me (generally I'd look for something closer to $150 but I can pay a little extra for full FOSS).

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
                This is what they actually will do, it is right there on the page.
                No, no no. That's what they CLAIM. I really don't think they can get media support (hardware acceleration for decoding) without blobs, among other things (like powersaving). Really, I've yet to see a media-oriented chip where the open source support was sufficient for a finished product (excluding raspi anyway).

Also the whole ip first idea with Matrix.org they are proposing goes even a step further and is as far as I know the first realistic attempt to avoid the whole cell tracking problem which is always there if you have a running baseband. This will make it possible to make and receive calls even if you deactivate the baseband via wifi or any other means where you get an ip connection.
                Meh, it requires me to set up a server for it or rely on third parties anyway so it's better than Telegram at least (or watsapp, for that matter).
                It's surely better than having a private mail server (which handles instant messaging poorly), though, and it's still on my watchlist for my Personal Cloud (tm) home server deployment.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 28 August 2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

There's this which makes me think this is actually feasible - https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...tnaviv-update/

Comment

Freedom always matters. So GNOME matters.
                    So KDE matters, so Deepin matters, so LXQt matters, so MATE matters, so xfce matters.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      There's this which makes me think this is actually feasible - https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...tnaviv-update/
                      That's just GPU, and on a device where 3D capability isn't going to be the main selling point.

Comment

Working...
                      X