Purism's Librem 5 Is Nearing $100k In Funding, But A Long Journey Remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

That depends on how you value Freedom. I can see why you wouldn't buy the phone. I'll pass as well. A few bucks to support what might be the only and last ditch on a truly Free phone is worth it though...
    You all have to understand, this phone will not have free baseband firmware, so it will never be "a truly free phone." Sure, it claims that you can switch off the baseband in hardware, but what about the time it spends on, connected to the CPU?

Comment

another failure.

Comment

I'd back it up, despite the obvious risk, but asking for $80 for international shipping is outrageous... WTF?

Comment

I have no problem with the pricing freedom has it's costs.
          But i wonder things like what band it will support?
          What keyboard layouts will i be able to use for sms/mms?
          I think it's implied when i search for information about this project that they put more work towards stuff working over internet connection then carrier network/ISP.
          In what countries will it work?

And they should have used Qt that is proven on smartphones and looks much better.

Comment

Proven to be CLA. Proven to regress on Wayland. Proven to be a burning platform.

Nah, they need a better option. Like a reference toolkit used by Canonical, Redhat, SUSE, endlessm and many others.
            Yeah and GTK+ is the pinnacle toolkits, with no regressions, theming issues etc. Lets not forget that SUSE uses it for YaST, and of course Qt's usage far eclipses GTK+'s usage in industry. But hey, I suppose it won't stop you from your neurotic trolling. You have had 4 bans and you still don't get the message. How sad.

Comment

Proven to regress on Wayland.
              Sailfish OS has been using Qt5 with Wayland since 2013.

Comment

Yeah, it's too Free for you..
                I'll laugh when they find out that they cannot pack enough RAM to run GNOME in that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
                  I wonder, where is the actually comparable device which respects my privacy with better stats for less money?
                  Any LineageOS device?

If you think they can do without the blobs for hardware support you're delusional.

Comment

By truly free I meant copyleft code, not just some scammy CLA-ware.
                    Yeah, because the fact they have GNOME is going to matter much when their lower levels (hardware support) is going to be blobs, not to speak about the modem.

Because no matter how adamant you are about freedom, if you buy a phone you need to keep the goddamn modem on to receive calls.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Any LineageOS device?

If you think they can do without the blobs for hardware support you're delusional.
                      This is what they actually will do, it is right there on the page. Blob free OS and the devices where they can't get that will be connected via usb so they can separate the proprietary firmware from the main device without direct memory access and with a kill switch in place. This is the main selling point. And no, there is NO LineageOS device which has any of those features.

Also the whole ip first idea with Matrix.org they are proposing goes even a step further and is as far as I know the first realistic attempt to avoid the whole cell tracking problem which is always there if you have a running baseband. This will make it possible to make and receive calls even if you deactivate the baseband via wifi or any other means where you get an ip connection.

That being said, if you don't care about those things, feel free to ignore the project. If you don't understand why others care try to inform yourself. But to just complain about it, and they care for good reasons, just makes you look really stupid,
                      Last edited by ZeroPointEnergy; 27 August 2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X