X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Fixed!
    Not really... It's more like the outreachy people being like:

Hmm... Our numbers say that equal access to jobs in the tech field isn't producing the results we want, so we need to start looking into alternate methods. Trying to encourage more of the groups we want to actually enter the field? Well that's stupid...

You know those southern racists who used to put signs that said "Help wanted - No coloreds" in their store windows may have been onto something. Let's do what they did and be bigots by offering jobs to the ones that are already in the field and exclude people based on how they're born! It's not like anyone is going to call us out on it if we target it the right way!
    Last edited by L_A_G; 29 August 2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Not really... It's more like the outreachy people being like:
      Not even remotely the same as "No coloreds".

Unfortunately for you, pale, bespeckled, unwashed nerds aren't a protected group.

Comment

This is only making it harder for this protected groups. Without this kind of programs, everyone knows if they get female dev working on the project - she earned it and will get job done, likely better than some males. If there is outreachy shit going on, I'd be really careful avoiding any "protected" person working on my stuff.

Comment

Not even remotely the same as "No coloreds".
          The only way I can see why someone would support counter-productive programs like this is either if they're blind to how similar these projects are to much of the stuff that went on during the Jim Crow era in the south or if they deliberately want to undermine the reputations of targeted groups in the tech sector. For you it seems to be the former, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if at least some supporters are doing it for the latter reason.

Unfortunately for you, pale, bespeckled, unwashed nerds aren't a protected group.
          Thankfully I don't belong to a protected group so programs like these are not going to undermine my reputation. If anything these programs help my reputation as people are going to know I wasn't shown any favoritism. However I do feel for the people whose reputation these well meaning, but ultimately counter-productive, programs are doing such a good job at undermining.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

The only way I can see why someone would support counter-productive programs like this is either if they're blind to how similar these projects are to much of the stuff that went on during the Jim Crow era in the south or if they deliberately want to undermine the reputations of targeted groups in the tech sector. For you it seems to be the former, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if at least some supporters are doing it for the latter reason.
            Someone slept through history class, methinks.
            This isn't like Jim Crow. This is affirmative action. This is what defeated Jim Crow in the first place.

The only way I can see why someone would oppose productive programs like this if they're actually in support of Jim Crow, misogyny and racism.

The white supremacist crowd (the same crowd that erroneously claims people in support of EBT are racist and want to make people of color dependent) seems to be into reverse psychology these days.

Comment

Someone slept through history class, methinks.
              Yes and that person is you. Discrimination based on race is racism regardless of how you target it. Discrimination based on gender and gender identity is sexism regardless of how you target it. Discrimination based on sexual preference is just that regardless of how you target it. Discrimination based on physical ability is just that regardless of how you target it. Discrimination based on religion is just that regardless of how you target it. Same thing applies to any discrimination based on any other non-voluntary aspect.

This isn't like Jim Crow. This is affirmative action. This is what defeated Jim Crow in the first place.
              No, what defeated Jim Crow was removing the laws that imposed or legalized segregation and racism, replacing them with laws that banned both government and private actors from enacting new or existing policies that were racist and/or segregationist in nature. Affirmative action came in later as a well meaning, but ultimately misguided and counter-productive effort to rectify past injustices.

The only way I can see why someone would oppose productive programs like this if they're actually in support of Jim Crow, misogyny and racism.
              Sure, that's it may seem like if you refuse to consider any downsides, unwanted side effects or what they are on the fundamental level. Jim Crow laws were evil precisely because they were discriminatory, who they targeted just compounded how evil they were. Changing the target does not somehow make the policies out of the Jim Crow era good or even defensible.

The white supremacist crowd (the same crowd that erroneously claims people in support of EBT are racist and want to make people of color dependent) seems to be into reverse psychology these days.
              When you're as tunnel visioned as many people who consider themselves progressives are these days it's obviously not surprising to see people label anyone that dares to criticize certain types of policies as "white supremacist" like you just did. Even Obama saw how bad this tunnel visioning has gone and stated in one of his last speeches as president that policies like affirmative action do have legitimate criticisms and the labeling anyone who brings them up a white supremacist or a racist is not productive or smart.

However I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your next move is to call the man a white supremacist...
              Last edited by L_A_G; 31 August 2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X