Stratis Is Red Hat's Plan For Next-Gen Linux Storage Without Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

I usually install the server variant (even for desktops). I assumed it was the same across the board.
    My mistake.

- Gilboa
    Neither of us specified the variant, so no harm, no foul. My point was basically agreeing with what you were saying about home usage. It basically doesn't matter. Both are acceptable - and that is backed up by the Fedora defaults.

Comment

A guy from g-technology (company owned by WD, the hard drive manufacturer) has subscribed (a bit clumsily) to btrfs mailing list. That company makes NAS, external drives and bigass RAID storage boxes on thunderbolt/USB3/esata.

It seems their NAS (GRack 12) is using btrfs on 48 to 120 TB of storage (or more if using the extension enclosure). I have strong suspicions that it has Apple-grade pricing as I can assemble a similar system for much less $$$, but at least it has Apple-like looks too.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

Neither of us specified the variant, so no harm, no foul. My point was basically agreeing with what you were saying about home usage. It basically doesn't matter. Both are acceptable - and that is backed up by the Fedora defaults.
        Indeed.
        I would imagine that the server vs. workstation defaults will also be true to RHEL 8.
        XFS for servers and ext4 for desktops / workstations.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          It would seem stratis won't do anything itself; it's merely a deamon managing LVM and maybe mdraid. Hence, it won't have any RAID bugs.
          Yes, that always works. Just cobble together three-or-four subsystems and everything will work out great.

Fucking hell... have we not learned anything? You need a goddamn design!

EDIT: Apologies for necro, but I only frequent these forums when I want to look at the 'underbelly'. FWIW.

Comment

Well, shared responsibility with well tested components _is_ design.

Comment

subscribed to this thread

Comment

Does the fact that btrfs is in Fedora now mean that RedHat still believes in btrfs, it just didn't want to maintain it for RHEL because of the amount of work needed for backporting/maintenance of btrfs (as was suggested on HERE by a former RedHat btrfs employee)?
                Last edited by mystiquewolf; 24 April 2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X