Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Asus no less, based on the P67 chipset.
    Based on the info, is it ASUS P8P67 motherboard? In that case, have you done BIOS update first?
    Unsurprisingly, some features are specific made for Windows by the vendor meaning someone will need to reverse engineer it or write that software from scratch.
    Remember majority of tasks are sorted by priority when it comes to Linux kernel report but once a proper debbuging is done, the time for answer in excellent.

As an example: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115021#c33
    The suggestion is to file a report on Linux kernel related to ACPI. Chances are code inside Linux kernel may be outdated and needs update. Hope it helps.

Comment

no Linux web browser supports HW accelerated video decoding.
      my linux web browser uses hw acceleration for playing youtube

Comment

And Adobe completely stopped supporting HW accelerated decoding in Flash at least two years ago.
        flash is not supported by apple on ios. adobe kills flash in 2020. sane people do not use flash

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
          By the time it took him to write this rant he could have already bisected it, what an idiot.
          You have to be joking. Have you ever tried bisecting a kernel bug? It can take DAYS.

Comment

As a person who left Linux for Apple, I can tell you these points are bs. Linux is highly successful, strongly avoids kernel breakage, and 2% on the desktop is millions of users.

Comment

Strangely Google/RHEL/Suse all disagree with you but who cares? You know more than them, right? You have a multibillion mobile business, right? A billion worth enterprise OS business, right? Oops, you're only posting comments here at Phoronix.
              Well it worked for me so his claim is incorrect

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                I'm still holding out hope that RISC-V and similar projects will start putting out products that are open from top to bottom, hardware and software. Imagine if enough people can get good experiences from products like that, and long support cycles. The whole market will shift to that model, and any company that keeps operating the old way will go out of business.
                I wouldn't hold my breath for RISC-V. When and if it comes it will be just another low power, low performance mobile SoC of zero interest for serious computing. Our best hope for some real, fully open, RYF desktop hardware is IMHO the POWER platform. It won't be cheap, for sure, but it will be the first worthy option in a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Lol, what? Aren't you forgetting a few? HP (HP-UX on Integrity), IBM (AIX on POWER), Sun (Solaris on SPARC64), Fujitsu, SGI, Cray, Sunway, etc. all develop their own OS on their own proprietary hardware.
                  I intentionally didn't count HP-UX, Solaris, AIX and other OS's that are essentially or literally on life support. Not sure why you'd include a company that only exists as a patent troll after went bankrupt in 2009 (SGI) or companies that merely develop their own in-house Linux distros (Fujitsu, Cray and Sunway).

And that doesn't even include mainframes, like AS/400, HP 3000, etc. Yes, even in 2017, mainframes are a multi $Billion business.
                  Mainframes are big business in two things: Niche applications that a distributed system handles badly or can't handle at all and legacy systems held around mostly due to already sunken costs and cost of replacement with something more modern.

Comment

trolling, bad attempt

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post

Strangely Google/RHEL/Suse all disagree with you but who cares? You know more than them, right? You have a multibillion mobile business, right? A billion worth enterprise OS business, right? Oops, you're only posting comments here at Phoronix.
                      Owning a business doesn't make someone better informed.

Former French culture & communication minister Fleur Pellerin once called for a French keyboard layout with more special characters (you just can't type them in basic text editors, you have to know the ALT combinations by hear or dig through the character map). She (or anyone working in/for the damn ministry) didn't even know that:
                      1. Linux has keyboard layouts with tons of special characters (including the ones she complained about not having on the standard Windows layout).
                      2. There is a tool, made by MS themselves no less, called MSKLC, that allows anyone with enough time on their hands to make their own custom layout with any special character they desire. Actually, the layout mimicking the Linux one (called fr-oss, if I'm not mistaken) already exist, as someone already bothered to make it.

Here's a second story: I once heard of a business owner who wanted to network two computers via wifi... with two metallic walls in between. Both computers were sitting in a metal containers. Needless to say he had to look for an alternative.

So yeah, your argument doesn't hold water.

About your motherboard's unsupported features... I'm surprised you would spend so much time ranting about technical aspects of Linux if you don't know how badly written ACPI tables can be at times. That and non-standard stuff. Certainly you don't expect open source devs to reverse engineer every piece of software that exists whenever Asus & Co don't follow the specs.
                      Last edited by wdb974; 02 August 2017, 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar + left out a detail in the second story + derp in the conclusion

Comment

Working...
                      X