Artem Tashkinov: Independent Hardware Vendors Hate Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opossum View Post
    The linux kernel cannot and will not support a stable API/ABI across multiple releases
    this is incorrect statement. linux kernel does support stable api/abi for its clients. it does not support stable api/abi for parts of itself, but if you are asking for such stupid thing, you've already failed

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      This is why I cannot take this guys seriously:
      His reaction is totally pathetic.

EDIT: OMG wtf is wrong with this forum.. I cannot post links, images nor upload attachments..
      So here an edited link: i.imgur.com/FF0Lsff.png
      Amazing! You found a three years old comment which was actually correct back then and it's even more correct now because no Linux web browser supports HW accelerated video decoding. I'm not sure who you're trying to expose And Adobe completely stopped supporting HW accelerated decoding in Flash at least two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        To be fair, it is a very recent development that the open source drivers for AMD for example have started to be competitive.
        but linux open drivers in general were dominating already in 2006 http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html
        Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        Nvidia is frequently praised for their oh-so-great closed source drivers.
        by nvidiots

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          this is incorrect statement. linux kernel does support stable api/abi for its clients. it does not support stable api/abi for parts of itself, but if you are asking for such stupid thing, you've already failed
          Strangely Google/RHEL/Suse all disagree with you but who cares? You know more than them, right? You have a multibillion mobile business, right? A billion worth enterprise OS business, right? Oops, you're only posting comments here at Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            is completely missing the smartphone craze success?
            completely dominating. yes, it's a success

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Strangely Google/RHEL/Suse all disagree with you but who cares?
              they disagree with reality only inside your mind. just say no to drugs

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
                The guy has a point: stable API/ABI for drivers. When a hardware vendor writes a driver, why would they want to maintain it, after every few kernel releases.
                this guy has nonsense. your question was answered long ago https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...i-nonsense.rst
                but summary for lazy ppl
                • The quality of the driver will rise as the maintenance costs (to the original developer) will decrease.
                • Other developers will add features to your driver.
                • Other people will find and fix bugs in your driver.
                • Other people will find tuning opportunities in your driver.
                • Other people will update the driver for you when external interface changes require it.
                • The driver automatically gets shipped in all Linux distributions without having to ask the distros to add it.

Last edited by pal666; 01 August 2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Look at how Microsoft failed in the smartphone space with an OS that has received generally good reviews.
                  paid reviews. ms poured billions each year to promote loosephone. but it had less features than s60
                  Last edited by pal666; 01 August 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

The key word in the Linus quote is "userspace". The interface between kernel and non-kernel code is considered stable, and if kernel developers break that interface, Linux will yell at them. A lot.

The same is not true *within* the kernel - and that includes modules, which despite being dynamically-loaded, are still part of the kernel. And that's not much of a problem for drivers developed within the kernel tree, because developers are usually pretty good about not breaking other parts of the tree... probably because unnecessarily creating work for other kernel developers will also result in Linus yelling at them. But it *is* a problem for drivers developed outside the kernel tree - the attitude tends to be that if they're not doing things the proper way, they can suffer the consequences... and Linux will yell at them instead (see NVidia).
                    Yes, they want to taint the kernel with closed source binary blobs just like Nvidia, virtualbox, vmware, Imagination Technologies, most Android drivers... does. And there's those damned firmwares that often have tons of bugs. One example that annoys me is the iwlwifi (sorry for the spelling error, it's a mess to write for me) by Intel , it sucks.

If I were able to, I would forbid and legally persecute anyone doing a kernel module for Linux. After all, it's against GPL too. I consider Linus and the rest of the leader in Linux are too weak, I'm also amazed how certain "companies" joined the Linux Foundation and aren't FOSS friendly at all!!!!

Closed source drivers provide lots of issues and little benefits. Somebody should force Nvidia to open their black box and forbid features just because market fragmentation (vGPU? Proper in-kernel Optimus support? See all those hacks to make games work better?).

They provide crap, no real support. To me they are useless and poisonous to the Linux kernel ecosystem.
                    Last edited by timofonic; 01 August 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

For better or worse, games work on Windows.
                      again, outside of your alternative reality most people are playing games on linux(android)

Comment

Working...
                      X