No announcement yet.

I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see what all the fuss is about. All anyone needs is a Matrox Millenium and a Voodoo Graphics PCI card. If someone tells you otherwise, it's probably some rich snob who upgrades his PC every few years just because he can.

Comment

Just buy a fucking audio cable, that's that simple
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Just buy a fucking audio cable, that's that simple
        I already have enough bloody cables around my office, that enough is enough and wish I could have half as many to make it more organizer and easier to clean, etc. Running an audio cable just to hear some IRC/message beeps and such isn't worthwhile, even though I probably have a dozen analog audio cables in a box somewhere.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          They should have a RX 565 or something like that. The difference between 560 and 570 is tremendous.
          Well, I'd like an RX 575, rather, at 150W TDP. Right now it's either an RX 480 or an RX 570, and the 480 is much better... but out of production.

Oh, and I thought it would be RX 560X and RX 570X, but apparently they changed that naming scheme in the 400 series again and now it's indeed XX5. Makes sense, but sigh, all the convention changes...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I already have enough bloody cables around my office, that enough is enough and wish I could have half as many to make it more organizer and easier to clean, etc. Running an audio cable just to hear some IRC/message beeps and such isn't worthwhile, even though I probably have a dozen analog audio cables in a box somewhere.
            Well, looks to me you are trading a problem for another, going proprietary with Fedora. A cable you set once, a driver...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Sounds like bullshit. Mesa has no GUI either, and while nvidia does, the only real setting you can adjust there is turning off vsync permanently. Where's Geforce Experience and Shadowplay? Come on, nvidia drivers aren't heaven either.
              True, but "Mesa has no GUI" could be fixed, you know GTK+ and c? It's one afternoon thing to do, since I am an idiot, I never gone past constructing window with CSD and one button. Here is an idea for guys who actually know what the hell they are doing. CSD application named "Basic MESA settings" or something, two buttons on the top, one named "Per User" and another "System Wide", per user and system wide could (or should) have same settings, the only difference is one would affect profile ~/.drirc and other /etc/, then, under say "per user" construct slider with 4 positions, first position would echo (or something, I wanted to do with echo, but I'm sure there's more elegant solution) V-sync "Always Off" (and you can name it that way, vblank value 0), another option would use "Off by default" (vblank value 1), 3rd one would be "On by default" (vblank value 2) and 4th "Always On" (vblank value 3), it's quite similar to what was used in Catalyst, maybe there's only 3 values I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that value 0 and 1 are the values i said here.

Other options might be some options related to R600_DEBUG=xxx echoed to environment or profile (depending if it's system wide or per user), and you can get really creative with options, but try to limit them at minimum for easier maintenance. Or, to not complicate things, just do it "per user" without "system wide", it removes need for root privs.

I'm suprized no one did such simple application already .

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

True, but "Mesa has no GUI" could be fixed, you know GTK+ and c? It's one afternoon thing to do, since I am an idiot, I never gone past constructing window with CSD and one button. Here is an idea for guys who actually know what the hell they are doing. CSD application named "Basic MESA settings" or something, two buttons on the top, one named "Per User" and another "System Wide", per user and system wide could (or should) have same settings, the only difference is one would affect profile ~/.drirc and other /etc/, then, under say "per user" construct slider with 4 positions, first position would echo (or something, I wanted to do with echo, but I'm sure there's more elegant solution) V-sync "Always Off" (and you can name it that way, vblank value 0), another option would use "Off by default" (vblank value 1), 3rd one would be "On by default" (vblank value 2) and 4th "Always On" (vblank value 3), it's quite similar to what was used in Catalyst, maybe there's only 3 values I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that value 0 and 1 are the values i said here.

Other options might be some options related to R600_DEBUG=xxx echoed to environment or profile (depending if it's system wide or per user), and you can get really creative with options, but try to limit them at minimum for easier maintenance. Or, to not complicate things, just do it "per user" without "system wide", it removes need for root privs.

I'm suprized no one did such simple application already .
                Sounds like a great idea, and it seems like you visualized it so well. I don't think there is anyone better than you at this point to try it. If it works as well as it seems there could be hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of people using the software you founded!

It could be an awesome learning experience for you, go for it!

Try Rust :wink:

Comment

duby229
                  Haha, sad thing is, I am not programmer, I've started reading GTK+ manual, and failed miserably (in that attempt) to connect function to GTK+ action, tried python (it seem'd easier than c) and failed to even build a main application window (in PyCharm) = back to c. So what could be a few hours work for someone who actually knows what he's doing, would result in hours and hours for me with sub-optimal solution, but sure, if no one else does it, I will try (and fail probably lol) .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Average Linux Joe have to say something to AMD

https://youtu.be/UCg95DqOZaY
                    Even with a GUI that would not work, since YCbCr output apparently is not supported by the open source radeon/amdgpu driver, see:

And it looks like there has been no update on this bug for two years. I personally think it would be okay if agd5f MrCooper bridgman would implement YCbCr output. But I just hope they keep Full Range RGB (0-255) output as the default, since auto-modes mostly fail as can be seen on the Intel side for example: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94921 + https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100023 .

Full Range RGB (0-255) output should stay the default IMHO, it's fine if the user can manually change it to Limited Range RGB (16-235) or YCbCr 4:2:0 or YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4, but please no auto-mode (unless it works 100% correctly in all situations in real-life).
                    Last edited by pq1930562; 18 July 2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post

They should have a RX 565 or something like that. The difference between 560 and 570 is tremendous.
                      they had the RX 470D, but unfortunately it was only for China. It was almost exactly midway between the 460 and 470 with 4GB of RAM. It's shame they kept it China-only.

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                      I'm curious what your use case is.
                      My use case is irrelevant in this discussion, since I have a Ryzen 5 1600X and I'm waiting for my RX 470 and 480 (haven't decided which one to keep).
                      What I was thinking of is that 80$ for an RX 550 is quite a lot of money to reinvigorate an old computer or to build a media-only HTPC (quite a large market, I think).
                      Also, the power of an RX 550 is unnecessary in most use-cases (ie. an RX 550 is overkill for anyone who is not gaming or needs a low-cost, low-power compute card). Most people only make use of the fixed-function parts of GPUs, only gamers actually need all those 512 shaders.
                      This segment I described is currently dominated by Intel IGPs (with bad Windows driver support) and by NVidia (with cards like the 1030).
                      There is room for competition, for instance I would want to use an AMD GPU on Windows even if I had an Intel IGP with the same performance.
                      Last edited by OneBitUser; 18 July 2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X