I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

The PRO driver does exist and I'm sure it will get you a display when you bring home your Vega card.
    Pro driver is stuck supporting 2yo kernels. It's really not for public consumption anymore, as far as AMD is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

They could (and I think should) release an RX 540 and a 530, though, based on the same silicon as the 550.
      The 550 uses a full GPU chip as far as i know (Polaris 12 with 512 shaders), they could cut that back to 384 and 256 shaders and offer it as a solution for Ryzen CPU-based workstations, as well as an upgrade path to older desktops. They could even use DDR3 RAM on them to keep costs low, it wouldn't matter for desktop/HTPC use.
      Besides , there are low profile or single slot RX 550s, but no low profile and single slot ones, which is an area where NVidia is now alone with the GT 1030.
      Value for money does not matter in this segment, the top and bottom of the dedicated graphics card market have never really been worth their price.
      Well if the Vega based APUs are as good as rumored they will get close to your 540 and probably beat your 530. They are going to put defective dies in laptops and OEM systems so they may eventually end up on the second hand market. but I don't think they have the volume to release a retail card. The 550 is the upgrade path for older desktops already. They probably want you to just cough up the $80 for a Ryzen or higher workstation or just get an older and less efficient card.

I think the market for low profile and single slot cards is disappearing as smaller cases are much more accommodating these days and pico PSUs are really taking off. I'm curious what your use case is.

Comment

Average Linux Joe have to say something to AMD

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Average Linux Joe have to say something to AMD
          Sounds like bullshit. Mesa has no GUI either, and while nvidia does, the only real setting you can adjust there is turning off vsync permanently. Where's Geforce Experience and Shadowplay? Come on, nvidia drivers aren't heaven either.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            the only real setting you can adjust there is turning off vsync permanently.
            And even that doesn't work right. When the application requests vsync, you don't get unlimited fps but fps capped at your refreshrate without vsync. That gives you the nicest tearing you have ever seen.
            (I already did some rants about the Nvidia settings. No need to do it again in its full extent, this has to suffice for the time being.)

Comment

Sounds like bullshit. Mesa has no GUI either, and while nvidia does, the only real setting you can adjust there is turning off vsync permanently. Where's Geforce Experience and Shadowplay? Come on, nvidia drivers aren't heaven either.
              Well, he returned back RX 560 and got GTX 1050Ti... watching now what there happened I don't think it is bullshit, just i think that is how average Joe behave Older card with Catalyst had a GUI, this one does not... so return card back and got a one with a GUI

Last edited by dungeon; 17 July 2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

If you want DC now just use Archlinux and the AMD kernel in the AUR. It is really straightforward. I imagine there is a LP repo for it as well for Ubuntu.
                No, it’s broken. For me, the RX 480 freezes after a few moments trying HDMI audio with this AUR kernel. Repeatedly, same with RX 580 BIOS. (No problems under Windows.)

Comment

GeForce Experience and ShadowPlay is not drivers.
                  There are many settings in the Nvidia CP on Windows that didn't make it to Linux that you can pick on, but GFE and SP are not among them.

Comment

You have access to more settings via environment variables, but don't assume they work the way you want. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

They could (and I think should) release an RX 540 and a 530, though, based on the same silicon as the 550.
                      The 550 uses a full GPU chip as far as i know (Polaris 12 with 512 shaders), they could cut that back to 384 and 256 shaders and offer it as a solution for Ryzen CPU-based workstations, as well as an upgrade path to older desktops. They could even use DDR3 RAM on them to keep costs low, it wouldn't matter for desktop/HTPC use.
                      Besides , there are low profile or single slot RX 550s, but no low profile and single slot ones, which is an area where NVidia is now alone with the GT 1030.
                      Value for money does not matter in this segment, the top and bottom of the dedicated graphics card market have never really been worth their price.
                      They should have a RX 565 or something like that. The difference between 560 and 570 is tremendous.
                      Last edited by Apopas; 17 July 2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X