I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    I know. That's why I said I want a modern successor. Same price range and TDP, but a modern chipset.

Yeah, but it's based on ancient tech. It's not even GCN.
    My point is that it wasn't a modern card when it was released as a new card. It was based on a GPU from 2 generations before the modern cards of the time. That was why it was so cheap and underpowered.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE. Current iGPU-less Ryzen chips are supposed to compete with socket 2011 Intel stuff that is also GPU-less, and none is complaining apart from people that didn't get the segment it is aimed at.

Also, any card capable of DVI-D (like say the ancient ATI x700) with a 2$ DVI-D to HDMI adapter will give you modern display interfaces for dirt cheap.

Stuff for consumer market will be APUs of various kinds.
      DVI doesn't do 4k though. Or sound.
      But I'm with you on the missing IGP, I wish mt 6600k didn't have one either. And I'm pretty sure Ryzen 3 doesn't compete with socket 2011
      In any case, until someone starts shipping twin parts, one with an IGP and one without, there will always be someone left complaining

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        Yeah, but it's based on ancient tech. It's not even GCN.
        I did not get it why they didn't make it possible to slap an Stoney or carrizo-l apu onto a pcie board as ultra low end dgpu even if the whole apu would need to run it would be power efficient.

Comment

It is pretty clear this article is propoganda designed to shame AMD and us in the mesa community to merge DC because Michael wants it now now now. He always talks about it. A pretty dick move Michael, we are not inept.

Comment

Let's see how this choice works out. Maybe we see a follow up article where Nvidia is shamed after a kernel update...
            At least there were some pretty obvious recommendations in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              DVI doesn't do 4k though. Or sound.
              It does when you go back to the dark times of the GTX 200 series at least. My 285 had an spdif passthrough port on the card I attached to a spdif header on my motherboard that provided digital audio passthrough into the DVI port. As long as I used a dvi->hdmi adapter cable it could put out sound on the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Also, any card capable of DVI-D (like say the ancient ATI x700) with a 2$ DVI-D to HDMI adapter will give you modern display interfaces for dirt cheap.
                Oh, so a 2$ adapter will convert DVI to HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4? With FreeSync?

Comment

<quote>Oh, come on. DAL/DC is just about to merged for almost a year now. I get that there are hurdles, but that's why you don't announce* stuff before you get it working. I can only imagine how people that bought Polaris a year ago must feel by now.
                  It's not the end of the world, no puppies have been killed in making DAL/DC, but at this point it can be considered a blunder.</quote>

I'm not sure what you are getting at. The "hurdles" are the reasons cited in the article as to why DC was not used. For example not wanting to use additional repos or the nuisance of dealing with system updates with out of tree stuff. It would seem those same "hurdles" apply to the nvidia driver as well. Most of the article is complaining about how much he hates dealing with out of tree stuff and then at the end he decides to use the out of tree nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                    It is pretty clear this article is propoganda designed to shame AMD and us in the mesa community to merge DC because Michael wants it now now now. He always talks about it. A pretty dick move Michael, we are not inept.
                    If you want DC now just use Archlinux and the AMD kernel in the AUR. It is really straightforward. I imagine there is a LP repo for it as well for Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                      I don't think the implication was that you guys are inept, just that you guys are really super late with it. And also the need for it seems tied with sharing code with proprietary drivers, which is something nobody but you cares about.

Comment

Working...
                      X