X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense, but this article briefly describes the essence of Linux

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      Still wasted if you don't need 90% of it. The value proposition of a Ryzen goes down pretty fast if you have to spend another 80€ for a 550 just to get modern display interfaces.
      The 550 is a 3D accelerator for casual gaming. If you're simply looking for an inexpensive GPU, the R5 230 sells new for ~$30. Although really what it sounds like you're asking for, is an APU. The Zen based APU's aren't expected until later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
        This wasn't a cut down current card. It was a cut down card based on a GPU from 2 generations before and was a terrible value.
        I know. That's why I said I want a modern successor. Same price range and TDP, but a modern chipset.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        the R5 230 sells new for ~$30.
        Yeah, but it's based on ancient tech. It's not even GCN.

Comment

I gave up on DC. The patched kernels freeze on my RX 480 after a few moments.
          Then I got the idea: Let another device output the HDMI audio! So, set up a Mini PC with Xubuntu and configured PulseAudio network support. I nearly broke out into tears when – after years without proper surround sound on Linux – I finally got 5.1 working again. OMG, it’s real, and a pretty simple setup. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...o_over_network
          This does get even better: The Mini PC does consume a LOT less power than plugging in a second monitor on my RX 480, the difference is above 20 W. Why didn’t I think of this easy solution earlier…
          Last edited by holunder; 16 July 2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            Still wasted if you don't need 90% of it. The value proposition of a Ryzen goes down pretty fast if you have to spend another 80€ for a 550 just to get modern display interfaces.
            OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE. Current iGPU-less Ryzen chips are supposed to compete with socket 2011 Intel stuff that is also GPU-less, and none is complaining apart from people that didn't get the segment it is aimed at.

Also, any card capable of DVI-D (like say the ancient ATI x700) with a 2$ DVI-D to HDMI adapter will give you modern display interfaces for dirt cheap.

Stuff for consumer market will be APUs of various kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              I get that the main point of this article is to try and shame AMD, but all of the "hurdles" mentioned with regard to DC support would seem to apply just as readily if not more so to the nvidia driver.
              Oh, come on. DAL/DC is just about to merged for almost a year now. I get that there are hurdles, but that's why you don't announce* stuff before you get it working. I can only imagine how people that bought Polaris a year ago must feel by now.
              It's not the end of the world, no puppies have been killed in making DAL/DC, but at this point it can be considered a blunder.

*announce = a relative term in the world of Linux where things are in the open by default

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                I gave up on DC. The patched kernels freeze on my RX 480 after a few moments.
                Then I got the idea: Let another device output the HDMI audio! So, set up a RPi2 with Xubuntu and configured PulseAudio network support. I nearly broke out into tears when – after years without proper surround sound on Linux – I finally got 5.1 working again. OMG, it’s real, and a pretty simple setup. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...o_over_network
                This does get even better: The RPi2 does consume a LOT less power than plugging in a second monitor on my RX 480, the difference is above 20 W. Why didn’t I think of this easy solution earlier…
                I assume that using a HDMI analog audio adapter wouldn't fit the bill here. https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-audio-ad...udio%20adapter

Comment

The 550 is a 3D accelerator for casual gaming. If you're simply looking for an inexpensive GPU, the R5 230 sells new for ~$30. Although really what it sounds like you're asking for, is an APU. The Zen based APU's aren't expected until later this year.
                  Are APUs with more than 4 cores / 8 threads planned?

And of course I've seen the 230. What I was asking was if AMD was planning to make a modern successor to that old thing (afaik it's basically a 5450, which is ~ 7 years old now).

Comment

I have Fedora 25 with AMD Rx 480. Everything "just works", and each time a kernel update is out, I do "dnf upgrade", reboot, and everything still just works. No tinkering, no recompiling, no re-configuring. I dumped my old GTX Titan in favor of this Rx 480, and I couldn't be happier. It's truly plug-n-play on Fedora 25, and all my Steam games work really well with it.
                    I have this
                    http://global.shuttle.com/news/produ...productId=1723
                    When I first built it, three years ago, I had tried it with a Radeon R7 260X but it couldn't boot at all. I never figured out why. So I dumbed it for an old GTS 450 I had around :-(

Now I'm thinking to buy this one
                    In this video I show you the XFX single slot RX 460 that is perfect for a console-sized living room PCs and streaming/recording your gameplay with it as a se...

But if it doesn't work again, what am I gonna do it?
                    Last edited by Apopas; 16 July 2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      I assume that using a HDMI analog audio adapter wouldn't fit the bill here. https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-audio-ad...udio%20adapter
                      No, first: The driver does not output any audio. That’s the point. Secondly: I have an A/V receiver and four large speakers, so I want a digital and lossless input into the receiver (this drops out S/PDIF, because it can only transfer lossless in 2.0, for anything higher you need DD or DTS, but my BD rips have lossless FLAC tracks, transcoded from lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-Master Audio).

Comment

Working...
                      X