I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    I think we are many that waits for AMD APU.
    I hope it's not to far away for laptops.
    Yes, I was waiting myself to see how Zen does in a laptop. But AMD's strategy seems to be targeting higher end desktop and enterprise first. Which makes sense, because that's where the big money is and AMD probably doesn't have resources to go after all market segments at the same time.

Comment

It's interesting this thread started. I recently built a new desktop PC because I was tired of playing around with my Intel/Nvidia laptop. I built a Ryzen 5 & 1050ti desktop and I've been using Fedora 26 on it. It's been working great so far with the proprietary 384.47 driver. The only problem I found while installing is that the Negativo drivers didn't work "out of the box" as advertised, so I manually installed the drivers from Nvidia's website.

Comment

Michael
        Mystro256 provides a COPR repository for AMD based from agd5f

Staged kernel (based from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...d-staging-4.11)
        https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...taging-kernel/

Mainline kernel (based from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...ne-hybrid-4.11)
        https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...inline-kernel/

Both should have the needed features like DC enabled. Give it a try.
        Last edited by finalzone; 16 July 2017, 02:24 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

You don't need even mid-range for driving two 4K, even few years old AMD's low-end GCN 1.0 cards is capable and obviously have working HDMI Audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Yeah, a modern successor to the R5 230 - cheap, TDP bellow 20W - would be nice.
            This wasn't a cut down current card. It was a cut down card based on a GPU from 2 generations before and was a terrible value. I kind of hope they never do that again. The 550 is already a 50w part and won't use that much power on regular workloads.

Comment

I'd rather a dedicated card any day over some onboard gpu or apu.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Btw, I also have Fedora 25 with NVIDIA binary in my living room. Almost each time a kernel update is out, I have to reconfigure it...
                I have Fedora 25 with AMD Rx 480. Everything "just works", and each time a kernel update is out, I do "dnf upgrade", reboot, and everything still just works. No tinkering, no recompiling, no re-configuring. I dumped my old GTX Titan in favor of this Rx 480, and I couldn't be happier. It's truly plug-n-play on Fedora 25, and all my Steam games work really well with it.

Comment

I get that the main point of this article is to try and shame AMD, but all of the "hurdles" mentioned with regard to DC support would seem to apply just as readily if not more so to the nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    Honestly, $170 for a 570 at MSRP is great value for money.
                    Still wasted if you don't need 90% of it. The value proposition of a Ryzen goes down pretty fast if you have to spend another 80€ for a 550 just to get modern display interfaces.

It might be really expensive for just display driving, but it will age well
                    If I ever need something better, it will be cheaper then - no use buying hardware for the future that you can't make use of now.

Comment

@Michael: didn't expect that conclusion from you. Using one HD7850 with 2x4K monitors and HDMI audio at work without a problem out of the box. That card, or any GCN 1.0 like R7 370, is even good enough to play HD, so why even talk about "oh my god" two monitors . Instead you decided for something you probably have to mess around every kernel update?! Even with additional audio cable AMD is less pain in the ass. Don't want to presume anything but looks like a tendency of choice, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                      X