X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post

True, but "Mesa has no GUI" could be fixed, you know GTK+ and c? It's one afternoon thing to do, since I am an idiot, I never gone past constructing window with CSD and one button. Here is an idea for guys who actually know what the hell they are doing. CSD application named "Basic MESA settings" or something, two buttons on the top, one named "Per User" and another "System Wide", per user and system wide could (or should) have same settings, the only difference is one would affect profile ~/.drirc and other /etc/, then, under say "per user" construct slider with 4 positions, first position would echo (or something, I wanted to do with echo, but I'm sure there's more elegant solution) V-sync "Always Off" (and you can name it that way, vblank value 0), another option would use "Off by default" (vblank value 1), 3rd one would be "On by default" (vblank value 2) and 4th "Always On" (vblank value 3), it's quite similar to what was used in Catalyst, maybe there's only 3 values I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that value 0 and 1 are the values i said here.

Other options might be some options related to R600_DEBUG=xxx echoed to environment or profile (depending if it's system wide or per user), and you can get really creative with options, but try to limit them at minimum for easier maintenance. Or, to not complicate things, just do it "per user" without "system wide", it removes need for root privs.

I'm suprized no one did such simple application already .
    Sounds like a great idea, and it seems like you visualized it so well. I don't think there is anyone better than you at this point to try it. If it works as well as it seems there could be hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of people using the software you founded!

It could be an awesome learning experience for you, go for it!

Try Rust :wink:

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

Sounds like bullshit. Mesa has no GUI either, and while nvidia does, the only real setting you can adjust there is turning off vsync permanently. Where's Geforce Experience and Shadowplay? Come on, nvidia drivers aren't heaven either.
    True, but "Mesa has no GUI" could be fixed, you know GTK+ and c? It's one afternoon thing to do, since I am an idiot, I never gone past constructing window with CSD and one button. Here is an idea for guys who actually know what the hell they are doing. CSD application named "Basic MESA settings" or something, two buttons on the top, one named "Per User" and another "System Wide", per user and system wide could (or should) have same settings, the only difference is one would affect profile ~/.drirc and other /etc/, then, under say "per user" construct slider with 4 positions, first position would echo (or something, I wanted to do with echo, but I'm sure there's more elegant solution) V-sync "Always Off" (and you can name it that way, vblank value 0), another option would use "Off by default" (vblank value 1), 3rd one would be "On by default" (vblank value 2) and 4th "Always On" (vblank value 3), it's quite similar to what was used in Catalyst, maybe there's only 3 values I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that value 0 and 1 are the values i said here.

Other options might be some options related to R600_DEBUG=xxx echoed to environment or profile (depending if it's system wide or per user), and you can get really creative with options, but try to limit them at minimum for easier maintenance. Or, to not complicate things, just do it "per user" without "system wide", it removes need for root privs.

I'm suprized no one did such simple application already .

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

I already have enough bloody cables around my office, that enough is enough and wish I could have half as many to make it more organizer and easier to clean, etc. Running an audio cable just to hear some IRC/message beeps and such isn't worthwhile, even though I probably have a dozen analog audio cables in a box somewhere.
    Well, looks to me you are trading a problem for another, going proprietary with Fedora. A cable you set once, a driver...

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    They should have a RX 565 or something like that. The difference between 560 and 570 is tremendous.
    Well, I'd like an RX 575, rather, at 150W TDP. Right now it's either an RX 480 or an RX 570, and the 480 is much better... but out of production.

Oh, and I thought it would be RX 560X and RX 570X, but apparently they changed that naming scheme in the 400 series again and now it's indeed XX5. Makes sense, but sigh, all the convention changes...

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Just buy a fucking audio cable, that's that simple
    I already have enough bloody cables around my office, that enough is enough and wish I could have half as many to make it more organizer and easier to clean, etc. Running an audio cable just to hear some IRC/message beeps and such isn't worthwhile, even though I probably have a dozen analog audio cables in a box somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Just buy a fucking audio cable, that's that simple

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. All anyone needs is a Matrox Millenium and a Voodoo Graphics PCI card. If someone tells you otherwise, it's probably some rich snob who upgrades his PC every few years just because he can.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

They could (and I think should) release an RX 540 and a 530, though, based on the same silicon as the 550.
    The 550 uses a full GPU chip as far as i know (Polaris 12 with 512 shaders), they could cut that back to 384 and 256 shaders and offer it as a solution for Ryzen CPU-based workstations, as well as an upgrade path to older desktops. They could even use DDR3 RAM on them to keep costs low, it wouldn't matter for desktop/HTPC use.
    Besides , there are low profile or single slot RX 550s, but no low profile and single slot ones, which is an area where NVidia is now alone with the GT 1030.
    Value for money does not matter in this segment, the top and bottom of the dedicated graphics card market have never really been worth their price.
    They should have a RX 565 or something like that. The difference between 560 and 570 is tremendous.
    Last edited by Apopas; 17 July 2017, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    You have access to more settings via environment variables, but don't assume they work the way you want. ^^

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

Sounds like bullshit. Mesa has no GUI either, and while nvidia does, the only real setting you can adjust there is turning off vsync permanently. Where's Geforce Experience and Shadowplay? Come on, nvidia drivers aren't heaven either.
    GeForce Experience and ShadowPlay is not drivers.
    There are many settings in the Nvidia CP on Windows that didn't make it to Linux that you can pick on, but GFE and SP are not among them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X