No announcement yet.

I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

Phoronix: I Had A Tough Time Deciding What GPU To Use On My Main Fedora Linux Workstation

This week I've been working on transitioning my main production workstation to Fedora 26, but I had a really tough time this cycle deciding which graphics card to use, even with having dozens at my disposal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Conclusion: Ryzen needs so bad integrated graphics

Btw, I also have Fedora 25 with NVIDIA binary in my living room. Almost each time a kernel update is out, I have to reconfigure it...
    Last edited by Apopas; 16 July 2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Yes indeed. I installed a headless Ryzen system last week. Had to find a GPU to use in it; ended up tearing apart an old dusty system, and taking out a friggin' ATI X700 to install it. Worked out of the box.

Comment

I gave up waiting for the HDMI audio fix, and bought a $2 cable to run a traditional speaker connection to my monitor. It works fine.

Comment

That's a good topic Michael: NVIDIA card with proprietary driver or AMD card with free driver. I use an old AMD HD 6870, and really, I don't known what to choose if I need to change.
          As you said, both have flaws. I hope it would be better one day...

Comment

Using a HD7750 to drive a 4k TV with HDMI audio. Didn't you get one as a surprise gift once?

Comment

I'm going to get my popcorn now and watch you ripped to shreds for using what works for you instead of going sjw.

Comment

Yea, I'd have gone with the older Radeon option here. They are still plenty capable of driving 4K, and since you don't need anything high-end, you shouldn't care about energy efficiency anyway.

Comment

So, unfortunately, this time around I couldn't pop in a AMD Polaris card or so and keep my Fedora 26 box happy for my main production purposes due to DC not being mainline yet.
                  Polaris does not need new DC code. Using RX580 here just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post

*snip.
                    No, leave graphics to a lets say, graphics card on a desktop CPU,

Laptop fair do's but ain't that what the APU's will be going for ?

Comment

Working...
                    X