SPI 2016 Annual Report Released, Details Various OSS Project Financials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPI 2016 Annual Report Released, Details Various OSS Project Financials

Phoronix: SPI 2016 Annual Report Released, Details Various OSS Project Financials

SPI, Software in the Public Interest, has released their annual report covering 2016. SPI, for the uninitiated, serves as the steward to many open-source projects from Arch Linux to the X.Org Foundation to OpenMPI and LibreOffice...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the total income for 2016 across all of the projects is $400k. That's depressing. And somehow we can't consistently make better products than companies with 100 billion gross revenue or more. Go figure.

It's astonishing how close the free software movement gets to the quality of the proprietary offerings when you look at it from this angle.

And speaking for myself, I'm much more likely to tolerate a bug or gaps in the documentation from a huge group of volunteers than from a company that spends more than I'll earn in a lifetime on paper clips in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      So the total income for 2016 across all of the projects is $400k. That's depressing. And somehow we can't consistently make better products than companies with 100 billion gross revenue or more. Go figure.

It's astonishing how close the free software movement gets to the quality of the proprietary offerings when you look at it from this angle.

And speaking for myself, I'm much more likely to tolerate a bug or gaps in the documentation from a huge group of volunteers than from a company that spends more than I'll earn in a lifetime on paper clips in a year.
      Yeah right? Looks like some of these projects could even use like 100 bucks. I mean shoot, maybe I can contribute more than I thought.....

Comment

Working...
      X