Lennart Formally Introduces "mkosi" Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

How does merely adding something to a free and open source repository force anybody?
    Because then things are bundled into a monolithic blob with dependencies on each other.
    So then GNOME depends on systemd and systemd depends on all these other kinds of things.

Then instead of things getting used by its own merit, they are used because Lennart put them as a dependency of systemd.

I don't want to give Lennart any ideas, but think if here were to bundle like a mail client, irc client and web browser and media player with systemd too. It would be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Because then things are bundled into a monolithic blob with dependencies on each other.
      So then GNOME depends on systemd and systemd depends on all these other kinds of things.

Then instead of things getting used by its own merit, they are used because Lennart put them as a dependency of systemd.

I don't want to give Lennart any ideas, but think if here were to bundle like a mail client, irc client and web browser and media player with systemd too. It would be ridiculous.
      And then Lennart personally travels to the house of every single Linux user and says, "install all of these pieces of software, or I will summon a demon and have it flay you alive"! That's how he removes your personal choice.

It happened to me. Three times so far. I tried to install Gentoo and Void Linux, and Lennart stopped me. I was able to get GuixSD running in a VM, though, and he hasn't noticed yet.

Comment

The anti-Lennart trolls are becoming less entertaining every time he makes yet another useful contribution to free software. Sad!

Comment

Is he going to push this into systemd to force this on everyone?
          yes, it will come after you at night

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            And then Lennart personally travels to the house of every single Linux user and says, "install all of these pieces of software, or I will summon a demon and have it flay you alive"! That's how he removes your personal choice.
            Nah, Lennart's not a BSD guy... demons aren't his thing.

Comment

Well, if I want to pull down the source code for this tool, I don't want to pull down systemd and a thousand other projects. That's just sheer stupidity. I mean look at AOSP compile process - I downloaded several GBs worth of source code to build a 300 MB zip file.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                The anti-Lennart trolls are becoming less entertaining every time he makes yet another useful contribution to free software. Sad!
                Yup. There are alternatives that don't have any SD in it at all yet they complain about having to use a more modern, and up to date system that was provided for free.

SD was the best thing that happened to Linux in a very long time. Diversity is great, but if it holds back advancement it becomes a liability. More commonality between distros in the framework is a good thing if it is done well. As far as I can tell SD has been done as well as possible given the enormity of the project.

Comment

^
                  |
                  This person does not know what is a monolithic blob nor what is "dependencies".

Hint: monolithic blob and "dependencies" can't exist at the same time.

It's the other way round. Stuff can depend or not from systemd (or from systemd project libraries). This tool for example requires systemd 233 or later to function.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Take a look of the Armbian distribution creation shell scripts. It is very easy and fast to edit them to your liking. What redhat and Lennart is doing is reinventing the wheel and causing anxiety to users with a monolithic, buggy and slow software. When a software is written in C, it takes time to compile and test. Simple programs are better do to with shell scripts and pyhton.
                    ^
                    |
                    This person didn't read that mkosi is written in python and is therefore making a fool out of himself even more than someone that just stated C programs are bad because they take time to compile and test.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      Well, if I want to pull down the source code for this tool, I don't want to pull down systemd and a thousand other projects. That's just sheer stupidity.
                      Learn to use git to pull down only the files you need, with git sparse-checkout https://gist.github.com/werty1st/6593431

I mean look at AOSP compile process - I downloaded several GBs worth of source code to build a 300 MB zip file.
                      Yeah, and with LEDE you pull down GBs of source too to make a 4-8-16 MB firmware image, waah waah waah.

Comment

Working...
                      X