Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Actually, when it comes to the build process they're both sort of terrible. Just in different ways.
    Yes, running "mach build" is straightforward (idiosyncratic error messages aside), but try extending mach and you will age 10 years in 10 minutes.

@debianxfce

Only complete and utter idiots tout their ability to write in one single programming language. There's a place for Rust, just as there is a place for Javascript, just as there is a place for C/C++. I wouldn't want to write a video game in Rust (it's certainly possible, albeit I prefer OOP for that. Even lousy OOP like the one found in C++), just as I wouldn't want to write memory sensitive code in C or C++, just as I wouldn't want to write browser extensions in anything but Javascript (ES6/TS).

There's a reason most build systems are written in Python and most microservices are written in Go, too.

I use all of these languages (and some more esoteric ones, like Haskell) to great success. Real programmers™ actually know that all of these languages have a reason to exist and make the best out of leveraging them for specific use-cases.
    It's also worth noting that C++ comes in different shapes, C++98 is a different language from C++17. Just like Rust is different from C++17. Java 9 is different from Java 1.4. Java didn't have modules, static linker, generics, its interfaces didn't support routines with executable code, well now they do. PHP or JavaScript didn't use JIT, well now they do. Programs written in 1998 in C++98 look totally different from the ones written now in C++17. People also combine C++ with OpenMP and other supporting frameworks. Modern C++ apps look more similar to Rust than the single threaded legacy code from 1998. There is no single C/C++. Even C and C++ are totally different languages. Java shares so much with C, shouldn't it be C/C++/Obj-C/Java/C# instead of C/C++?

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

That only proves how shit browser it is. Firefox uses more RAM than Chrome with a couple of phoronix.com tabs open too. Worst of all, older Firefoxes can not play youtube videos without hw accelerated graphics drivers, like with a Amlogic S912 device and the mainline Linux kernel. Chromium renders youtube videos by using all 8 cpu cores. Debian is easier to use than Gentoo and Debian is larger distribution with many fast servers around the world..
      lolz. Says you. All those browsers are shit in one fashion or another. But seeing as how I will be cutting down on my 'video' consumption soon, it's not a real issue for me. And yeah, Gentoo doesn't treat it's users like lemmings, I can even build my own package repo and binary package service. The other "linuxes" are for consumers (IT or what ever), for the most part. Gentoo offers true flexibility.
      Last edited by pcxmac; 02 September 2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• this thread is from over 2 years ago. is this the project that was in the news recently where you can save your personal desktop setting in an account and increase desktop security with a yubikey? i heard about this in a linux podcast, does anyone know about this?

Comment

Working...
        X