Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    udev works fine without systemd (needs some libraries) and there is also eudev that closely tracks upstream udev.
    logind was easily forked and turned into a standalone daemon, because it was designed following Unix principles so its design allowed that.

If the functionality of udev and logind was in fact merged in a big large binary called "systemd" like all of you keep thinking systemd is, then that would have breached Unix principles and made any forking effort much harder.
    That's never what I said, obviously.

Comment

So folks, say I want to ship some version of Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry PI, and want to do push updates to it via the Web later on with possible rollback if things break. What's the best method to do this today?

Comment

So windows is following some Unix principles too.
        Windows was an example against your argument. I'm still saying your argument lacks depth. You can read about the UNIX philosophy here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

It's not about simply programming, it's about how to program. In short, it's about writing software in such a way so the software itself becomes pieces of a higher programming language - the shell. UNIX certainly allows for isolated software and has always tolerated it. What was new is that systemd got rid of sysvinit, while sysvinit has been at the heart of this philosophy for decades. Of course did it hit people in the face. During the development of systemd and even now do administrators still use shell scripts to work around issues with systemd, to parse and to customize its configuration file for example. The irony of it is hard to miss.

The problem comes from a lack of free thinking, the ability to think beyond the immediate problems, but to look further and to provide long-lasting solutions. Without it wouldn't we have such things as the shell or concepts such as that of a programming language, libraries, daemons and object-orientation. These only exist, because of people who thought ahead and who didn't just stick to what they already knew.

I'm glad I can understand the issue and feel sympathy with those who are saddened by it. And only today did I read about Turkey dropping Darwin's Theory of Evolution from the school books. So that's happening, too. Of course the logic behind it is as sound as that of systemd. Or what did the Theory of Evolution ever do for us? It's undeniably much easier and faster to explain our existence through God or Allah than by other means. Jokes aside, there is now talk about a replacement for Pulse Audio. Just as most software is finally working well together with Pulse Audio, which took long enough, is it also going to get tossed out again. It's more of the same irony.
        Last edited by sdack; 24 June 2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Nope. All programs it "absorbed" are still working on their own (they just need systemd libraries because they are now part of the same project). Some of its daemons that were designed to work as a team were easily changed to work on their own (logind for example), and that wouldn't have been possible if systemd truly was monolithic and against Unix principles.
          did you even read what you wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

So how do you switch between BT speakers, multiroom audio, and USB DACs when using alsa? Without terminating your apps? Just curious.
            Dmixing... Anyhowm just because pulseaudio does a few important things that may be harder to do with just alsa, doesn't make it any less of a hackjob, it may be a necessary evil for some, but it is still an evil. Just because it does something good doesn't mean it actually is good.

Pulseaudio has always gotten in my way when I've had to use it, Also has always been clean, maybe not simple, but clean and bug-free.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              I don't now about pushing updates, that's the #1 reason I can't stand Winblows 10.
              Peerblock 1.2 + custom list involving Windows update servers. If you do not know which hosts to look for, download WSUSOffline and have a look at its output. Regardless of Windows10 version, it would stop updates. Also telemetry if you care about adding those hosts into list. Peerblock and WSUSOffline are both free. Latter is even open source (Autoit3 code, if you know VB, should be easy to read)

that wouldn't have been possible if systemd truly was monolithic and against Unix principles.
              Accidental and not because any particular adherence to Unix principles, I am sure. Because systemd tends to ignore those same principles overall. If systemd was something like Busybox in nature, it would make a hell of a "monsterbinary", that's why it comes in multiple's..

Comment

I can't wait for the term IoT to die! ​​​​​​
                me too

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Dmixing... Anyhowm just because pulseaudio does a few important things that may be harder to do with just alsa, doesn't make it any less of a hackjob, it may be a necessary evil for some, but it is still an evil. Just because it does something good doesn't mean it actually is good.
                  Ok, I had no idea all that works with alsa & dmix. So you can switch between sinks while the app is running these days? No need to close the browser to switch to bt headphones?

Comment

Sounds great. I have to get rid of ISOs because they take up space. With this both the network transfer and the local storage are reduced if I have similar chunks of file system locally.

Imagine a diff tool built on top of this. It would tell you exactly what and how files are changed in a new release of your OS or some huge program you use, without you having to download it. If I understand correctly, already you can systemd-nspawn a new release on a casync FUSE file system and it will download the changed blocks as it needs them.

I've always thought .iso files are a crappy way to turn a few MB of interesting ideas into a 350 MB indigestible mess. Creating a tool that turns both block devices and directories into content-addressable chunks with small diffs is smart thinking.

Comment

It would be pretty stupid getting rid of ISOs. Blank drive, fresh install - ISO becomes mandatory. Unless you are into IMG files, which take often even more disk space. Either way, you need installation media images to get going..

Comment

Working...
                      X