Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

If you've ever tryed to build a distributable filesystem image with an OS in it, then you already know. I'm not an educator and I don't want to be.
    This is not about you being an educator. This is about you claiming that you have done this stuff for decades already with available tools. Since you made the claim it is also your part to back up your claims. This is how it works in a discussion, if you like it or not. So either you show us how you did that stuff with available tools or you don't, giving your credibility (which isn't very high anyways, due to your previous actions on this forum), another kick to the head.
    I would guess that it is the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

no it doesnt! it absorbed several pieces of software that no longer function independently or easily on their own. It became a monolothic piece of junk. And its a shame since for the rest its not a terrible piece of software.
      Would you be so kind to tell us which projects where absorbed into systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

This is not about you being an educator. This is about you claiming that you have done this stuff for decades already with available tools. Since you made the claim it is also your part to back up your claims. This is how it works in a discussion, if you like it or not. So either you show us how you did that stuff with available tools or you don't, giving your credibility (which isn't very high anyways, due to your previous actions on this forum), another kick to the head.
        I would guess that it is the latter.
        Seriously? That's ignorance to an extreme. You might want to have a psychologist look into that for you. My job gets done, and has for years.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Would you be so kind to tell us which projects where absorbed into systemd?
          udev, logind are most important ones that screw everything else, but plenty of other projects have been sucked in too. Logind never did work with anything else and promises have been made many times to break udev from working with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I tried to read that post about what casync is, and its about as clear as mud. So what does this actually *do*? Is it like Git for binary data with an rsync like interface?
            It doesn't do much at this time, because it's obviously in development.

It will be a continuation of the concept behind rsync. Just as CVS was a successor to SCCS for version control, which got replaced by subversion, and then subversion got phased out by git. Or think of the various generations in compression tools as they improved over time: compress (.Z), gzip (.gz), bzip2 (.bz2) and xzip/lzma (.xz).

So casync will likely step into the footsteps of rsync and pick up more modern concepts. There is plenty of room for improvements in the area of finding and selecting changes in files, and to combine it with better and more diverse compression methods, and to use a variety of transmission protocols for flexibility. At least that's what I hope this will be. If not then nobody will want to use it anyway.

Comment

udev, logind are most important ones that screw everything else, but plenty of other projects have been sucked in too. Logind never did work with anything else and promises have been made many times to break udev from working with anything else.
              You can write your own logind, udev as replacements if you like. And using your own projects in your new project is quite okay.
              Author of udev: Kay Sievers and Greg Kroah-Hartman
              Author of logind: LP, Kay Sievers plus others
              Just face it, you are just one of small group of misinformed anti-LP supporters.
              Last edited by rtfazeberdee; 21 June 2017, 01:31 PM. Reason: Adding info

Comment

Seriously? That's ignorance to an extreme. You might want to have a psychologist look into that for you. My job gets done, and has for years.
                As I guessed, you are either not willing or not able to back up your own claims. Even more funny, you blame your failure to do so on me and then tell me that I might need psychological help.
                The irony is lost on you, I bet ...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  So does Windows. Your argument lacks depth.
                  So windows is following some Unix principles too.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    no it doesnt! it absorbed several pieces of software that no longer function independently or easily on their own. It became a monolothic piece of junk.
                    Nope. All programs it "absorbed" are still working on their own (they just need systemd libraries because they are now part of the same project). Some of its daemons that were designed to work as a team were easily changed to work on their own (logind for example), and that wouldn't have been possible if systemd truly was monolithic and against Unix principles.

Comment

udev works fine without systemd (needs some libraries) and there is also eudev that closely tracks upstream udev.
                      logind was easily forked and turned into a standalone daemon, because it was designed following Unix principles so its design allowed that.

If the functionality of udev and logind was in fact merged in a big large binary called "systemd" like all of you keep thinking systemd is, then that would have breached Unix principles and made any forking effort much harder.

Comment

Working...
                      X