Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    The thing is, the Unix philosophy isn't right for all problems. The idea of having lots of small modular programs used to compose a whole does result in clean implementations - but the limitation is that they sometimes lose on efficiency, because they can't take a high-level view of the problems. Monolithic solutions have their own downsides, but one of their strengths is the ability to perform optimisations that rely on having a more complete view of the problem.
    Fun Fact: Unix Philosophy isn't necessarily "lots of small modular programs doing very simple stuff", that's what it was turned into by unwashed troglodytes on teh internets.

Unix phylosophy is about modularity in general, especially at the source code level, and about making programs with a well-defined scope.

Comment

Differentiation and variety is good. Can bring new things and ideas.

But also could generate confusion. And on places where stability and standardization is the alpha and omega like the enterprise server market could lead into situations like the one which currently have of few dominating distros.

Creating standards and feature unification (Network Manager) could lead to more competition and give some other distros the chance to compete. If it's done the right way of course.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Talk about re-inventing the wheel for the nth time. I've personally been doing this for decades already. LP might finally have caught up to concepts introduced in the 90's. It's just that he's so arrogant that he won't recognize that.
        We all can be arrogant at times. This isn't the problem. The problem is that people are making him into a celebrity. Either out of jealousy, hate, envy, idiocy or silliness. If you think this is wrong then blame Phoronix for making an article on him, because it obviously serves as bait and to trigger readers. There are thousands of developers each day making new projects of significance and importance. This is just one of them and he is being made into some kind of star.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Fun Fact: Unix Philosophy isn't necessarily "lots of small modular programs doing very simple stuff", that's what it was turned into by unwashed troglodytes on teh internets.

Unix phylosophy is about modularity in general, especially at the source code level, and about making programs with a well-defined scope.
          which systemd absolutely shitted on.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            which systemd absolutely shitted on.
            systemd splits different functions into different daemons, using standardized interfaces between them.

It is more Unix than sysvinit (where everything was done by scripts, which on average are against most Unix principles), only unwashed forum trolls claim otherwise.

Comment

systemd splits different functions into different daemons, using standardized interfaces between them.
              So does Windows. Your argument lacks depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Blablabla. What you said was also that you had been doing this for decades with other tools. Then people asked for examples but you never responded to that. So either you're lying about it or you're just trolling. If not, then I ask you one more time to gives us an example of how you've been doing this for all of those decades, 'cause me and quite a few others are interested.
                If you've ever tryed to build a distributable filesystem image with an OS in it, then you already know. I'm not an educator and I don't want to be.

Comment

I tried to read that post about what casync is, and its about as clear as mud. So what does this actually *do*? Is it like Git for binary data with an rsync like interface?

Comment

It is more Unix than sysvinit (where everything was done by scripts, which on average are against most Unix principles), only unwashed forum trolls claim otherwise.
                    no it doesnt! it absorbed several pieces of software that no longer function independently or easily on their own. It became a monolothic piece of junk. And its a shame since for the rest its not a terrible piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

If you've ever tryed to build a distributable filesystem image with an OS in it, then you already know. I'm not an educator and I don't want to be.
                      LMAO. Then next time, don't talk about how you've been doing it if you don't want to give examples.

Comment

Working...
                      X