Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

because when you develop software someone like you will cry i use X distro why is not supported? why i have to change it? i'm paying for this support my distro!!!! but i developed that in Distro Z, add enough of those people crying and you have to end up supporting 10+ distros hence it sucks and it increase the final cost of the product.

But since systemd i just need to support systemd and is standard and sane enough that i don't have to care one bit which distro you use as long you have systemd, hence it reduce costs and make my life easier with the added plus of helping a lot in ironing bugs, reducing the amount of branches i need to support, etc. etc.

So, yeah it matters for a lot of people. you are the arrogant one thinking everyone else just use the computer the same way you do and somehow they have to adapt just because you hate standards because i guess it makes you feel less special or whatever
    I disagree with some of what you say and the rest is fair enough. You don't really know me well enough to say what I would do though.
    Last edited by duby229; 20 June 2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I'd still to this day like someone to tell me how in what way is that even a problem? You like Fedora, then use Fedora. Ubuntu? Then use Ubuntu, ffs. I never understood why everyone thinks that every other distribution should be just like theirs, and for crying out loud they're gonna make your distribution just like theirs...... So arrogant.
      Because writing 17 init scripts for your software for 17 different distribution sucks almost as trying to maintain that 800 lines init script fully of hacks so it will run on 17 different Linux distributions. Or having to write your own init script for some software, because the authors don't care and maybe have not even heard about your favourite Linux distro and thus don't provide an init script for you.

The whole class of issues just doesn't exist anymore. As long as you use a systemd based distro (which is almost all of them), you get a working .service file. If upstream doesn't provide one, you will find one in one of the other distros, can copy it and it _will_ work.

And it will work well, because suddenly the mentioned 17 distro maintainers don't have to solve the same issues over and over. So nowadays jabberd2 starts in a second on openSUSE instead of sometimes taking several minutes leading to the cluster manager deciding that it must be broken. Why several minutes? Because jabberd2 consists of 4 different daemons that have to be started and the old init script used netstat to check if they are already running and if the DNS server is down (because your systems are recovering from a power outage), it would take forever. Could the script have been fixed? Of course. And I'm sure there were distros with better init scripts. Nowadays it just works everywhere. On every single one of the 300+ distros using systemd. Because systemd is a real service manager and actually knows if a service is running so it doesn't have to use badly written hacks.

So now you know.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

Because writing 17 init scripts for your software for 17 different distribution sucks almost as trying to maintain that 800 lines init script fully of hacks so it will run on 17 different Linux distributions. Or having to write your own init script for some software, because the authors don't care and maybe have not even heard about your favourite Linux distro and thus don't provide an init script for you.

The whole class of issues just doesn't exist anymore. As long as you use a systemd based distro (which is almost all of them), you get a working .service file. If upstream doesn't provide one, you will find one in one of the other distros, can copy it and it _will_ work.

And it will work well, because suddenly the mentioned 17 distro maintainers don't have to solve the same issues over and over. So nowadays jabberd2 starts in a second on openSUSE instead of sometimes taking several minutes leading to the cluster manager deciding that it must be broken. Why several minutes? Because jabberd2 consists of 4 different daemons that have to be started and the old init script used netstat to check if they are already running and if the DNS server is down (because your systems are recovering from a power outage), it would take forever. Could the script have been fixed? Of course. And I'm sure there were distros with better init scripts. Nowadays it just works everywhere. On every single one of the 300+ distros using systemd. Because systemd is a real service manager and actually knows if a service is running so it doesn't have to use badly written hacks.

So now you know.
        Trust me, I already know. I disagree with some of your opinions and the rest is fair enough.

Comment

Look, we all know full well that LP hates the Unix philosophy. But the real truth is that rsync, dd, truncate and a few others have been doing what LP needs for decades. And if he wasn't so scared of shell scripting he could already have been doing what he wanted.
          I am curious. How can you write a example with rsync , dd and truncate replicate some of the features of casync?!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

if this has the bittorrent sync functionality it will be golden, fsf has a bounty out for it

Comment

I've personally been using rsync for decades already. I have not caught up to concepts introduced after the 90's. It's just that I'm so arrogant that I won't recognize that.
              Fixed.

Also, long time no see. Welcome back duby229.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                I am curious. How can you write a example with rsync , dd and truncate replicate some of the features of casync?!
                This. I'm very interested in how to make half-decent delta files by beating with arguments some poor tool that was not even designed to do that.

Comment

Look, we all know full well that LP hates the Unix philosophy. But the real truth is that rsync, dd, truncate and a few others have been doing what LP needs for decades. And if he wasn't so scared of shell scripting he could already have been doing what he wanted.
                  You seem to think Unix phylosophy means "i'm afraid of writing new specialized tools in C so I'll try to use shell to hack together something with the tools I have already", you might want to read up here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

Also please state what Unix-phylosophy-approved binary tool you plan to use for deltas.

Comment

If rsync is so great, why does the world need zfs send or btrfs send/receive?

Just saying, sometimes it's possible to solve a problem better, and sometimes it's possible to solve a similar, but different, problem. There's too much knee-jerk hate based on a specific name around here. I fully imagine that some of you guys, if you'd never heard someone's name before, would totally find some of the concepts good if given to you via A/B testing.

Comment

GNU is not UNIX. GNU never cared about UNIX philosophy. Neither did Linux. Go install FreeBSD

Comment

Working...
                      X