No announcement yet.

Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Who is worse, Microsoft's advocates or Red Hat's universal developers?

- Mother is the same, so who cares

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
      Maybe the comment section should be closed for every article mentioning LP? We can expect only trolling and useless statements.
      But that takes away potential ad revenue generated from clicks on such threads, no? They're fun to read as well as participate sometimes.

Comment

I'm seeing this positive. A new project might easily mean that LP is loosing interest on systemd. As soon as this happens, the community can evolve that into something stable and usable, just as it happened with pulseaudio which is now serving me painlessly with advanced features like normalizing, equalizing, sound routing, etc.

Comment

Good for him. I prefer to have multiple choices of software so I'm all for another image syncing software, even if there already are a bunch of them doing similar things. I'm fine as long as my window managerm, or cd-burning software, or whatsnot, not suddenly depends on them.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
            I'm seeing this positive. A new project might easily mean that LP is loosing interest on systemd. As soon as this happens, the community can evolve that into something stable and usable, just as it happened with pulseaudio which is now serving me painlessly with advanced features like normalizing, equalizing, sound routing, etc.
            Salty.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Yeah, i remember how awesome was to have 300+ linux distros that literally meant have 300 bash versions of the start up script around, now lets do it for image deployment so every distro can have their own shell script that is totally incompatible with their peer while claiming theirs is the right way.

No thank you, i prefer someone like lennart(docker, canonical, or whatever) develop a sensible standard that is distro independant and properly supported so i can trust i don't have to reinvent the wheel every time i wanna support a different distro

Btw if you bother in reading the blog, nowhere lennart state that there isn't tooling available to do this by hand, in the same way docker or canonical did either. He is simply pointing out they all have different approaches with their respective downsides and he is proposing another way to do it that can be used by either with less down sides and prolly standardize it a bit more between vendors, it doesn't sound crazy at all to me.

but i get it lennart is cthulhu in disguise so it must be evil by default
              I'd still to this day like someone to tell me how in what way is that even a problem? You like Fedora, then use Fedora. Ubuntu? Then use Ubuntu, ffs. I never understood why everyone thinks that every other distribution should be just like theirs, and for crying out loud they're gonna make your distribution just like theirs...... So arrogant.

Comment

I see this is just yet another relicencing project, rsync is GPL3 so lets do this and that and wear LGPL2.1 instead or whatever else just not so copylefted but more permissive... project is so common this year, whoever have GPL project is targeted

Capture the Flag, so boring
                Last edited by dungeon; 20 June 2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

TL;DR: Somebody implements a solution to the specific problem he is facing, shares it with the world, everybody gets upset at him and calls him an idiot because they already know everything better.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
                    That is a very good point i have not thought oft so far

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'd still to this day like someone to tell me how in what way is that even a problem? You like Fedora, then use Fedora. Ubuntu? Then use Ubuntu, ffs. I never understood why everyone thinks that every other distribution should be just like theirs, and for crying out loud they're gonna make your distribution just like theirs...... So arrogant.
                      because when you develop software someone like you will cry i use X distro why is not supported? why i have to change it? i'm paying for this support my distro!!!! but i developed that in Distro Z, add enough of those people crying and you have to end up supporting 10+ distros hence it sucks and it increase the final cost of the product.

But since systemd i just need to support systemd and is standard and sane enough that i don't have to care one bit which distro you use as long you have systemd, hence it reduce costs and make my life easier with the added plus of helping a lot in ironing bugs, reducing the amount of branches i need to support, etc. etc.

So, yeah it matters for a lot of people. you are the arrogant one thinking everyone else just use the computer the same way you do and somehow they have to adapt just because you hate standards because i guess it makes you feel less special or whatever

Comment

Working...
                      X