Clear Linux Switches From Xfce To GNOME, Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Decent GUI programs ... allow you to save presets, so the same job can be launched in a couple clicks.
    By your estimation, are there many “decent” GUI programs?

Comment

Please find a source that isn't obviously contradicting your statements as this way you only make a fool out of yourself. That blog writer said in the first paragraph:

Seems like the CLI has become unfashionable to many, while the GUI is the preferred way of doing things.
      Really, the optimum way to use a computer nowadays is with a combination of both (CLI and GUI).
      You forgot this bit:

GUIs may come and GUIs may go, but the CLI is the one true timeless computer interface.

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Grege. Extensions are also supported by gnome-software.
        Thank you. As a long time Synaptic user I had not noticed that they had added this functionality.

Comment

not all people bashing Griffin are KDE fans. dungeon uses xfce and I'm more a GNOME hater than a KDE fan.
          He, he, i missed this. First, I use whatever no problem if it is in short time , but usually i am minimal custom plain openbox user

Second, not sure i ever said that i use XFCE, to me even that is bloat. While KDE and Gnome are crazy bloats, on these two i can't decide just who is crazier
          Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2017, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• There even exist people who think syntax highlighting is bloat.

Comment

• Originally posted by grege View Post

Thank you. As a long time Synaptic user I had not noticed that they had added this functionality.
              I also had no clue about it. But, since extensions are searchable in software now, and since they are different from from other software, maybe adding category for browsing them would be good idea (if not added yet), software application does not come with Arch gnome and gnome-extra groups, and since i do most of the things from terminal and prefer pamac for updates (mainly because of AUR updates auto-checks) I didn't know about it. But adding category for extensions (if it didn't implemented) would be great thing for user-friendliness, since people can search extension only if they know the name for it and/or funcionality that might be named differently to what user might think.

Also, in tweak-tool it should be added "explore in software" link that would lead to software application, ar adding to existing "add more extensions".
              Last edited by leipero; 28 May 2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                You forgot this bit:

GUIs may come and GUIs may go, but the CLI is the one true timeless computer interface.
                That's just saying that CLI will never change (and I hope so as I don't like script breakage), does not contradict his first statements that you still need both GUI and CLI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  How disappointing! KDE can't be customized like Gnome with GTK inspector!
                  Sounds like a development tool.

Comment

• Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post
                    There even exist people who think syntax highlighting is bloat.
                    Like me. I normally have it turned off.

How do you do syntax highlighting on a shell script, anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

What do you mean?

ldo@theon:~> man -k discoverability
                      discoverability: nothing appropriate.
                      HA!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X