Clear Linux Switches From Xfce To GNOME, Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Come on guys! Ubuntu and Clear linux are not stupid, they are acting on what is evident. The same things I have told you.
    Yes they acted on what is evident, no it is not the same things you told us.

Are you really going to deny that Gnome just do a better job than the lesser desktops?
    It's not "deny", but state what is the actual truth.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Why further ones? Debian always defaulted to Gnome for any release, regardless it has 30% users who uses Gnome and 70% who does not use Gnome
      Also on Arch it's like that, according to their statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Come on guys! Ubuntu and Clear linux are not stupid, they are acting on what is evident. The same things I have told you. Are you really going to deny that Gnome just do a better job than the lesser desktops?

Good luck keeping up the denials as further dists will default to Gnome
        Once more, failing to present one shred of evidence in favour of your statements, you follow up with an emotional post.
        It what lets people peek into your IQ and not take you seriously.

Comment

Man, KDE fans are vocal minority for sure, I would like to see those statistics tho, I kept hearing some numbers and percents, but I didn't saw any source for it

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
            Man, KDE fans are vocal minority for sure, I would like to see those statistics tho, I kept hearing some numbers and percents, but I didn't saw any source for it
            And by vocal minority you mean we question Gnome trolls' statements?

Comment

not all people bashing Griffin are KDE fans. dungeon uses xfce and I'm more a GNOME hater than a KDE fan.

Anyway, here is Arch linux's download statistics I talked about above https://www.archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics

Arch statistics should be relatively reliable because it does not have a default DE unlike Debian or OpenSUSE or various other distros, AND the data is collected at their download servers.

If you google for random "what is your favourite Linux Desktop" polls you usually get a relatively similar outcome https://opensource.com/life/15/7/pol...op-environment
              even if they are somewhat crappier sources due to low numbers of the participants to the poll if compared to Arch statistics.

The last time Griffin pulled up some numbers he obviously took the statistics from Fedora and Debian, where default DE is GNOME.
              He got flamed for that, so now he pulls numbers out of thin air directly.

Comment

starshipeleven Ok, i have multiple problems with those "statistics", let me elaborate.

Statistics are used on .de server/domain, from what I do understand (correct me if I'm wrong), those are local statistics for that one (or few) server alone, not global statistics.
                Since .de domain is domain for Germany, it does not represent actual global statistics, for example, depending on source, in Germany Firefox range from popularity of slightly higher than global to almost equal as Chrome, while global statistics never put Firefox more than 1/3 of Chrome share.
                Furthermore I don't know the dates of those statistics, if they are current or not..., but let's assume they are curent, KDE have, without doubt, peak popularity in Germany, I don't think there's anyone who would deny that fact, making those statistics even more irrelevant.

So everyone should stay skeptical about these type of selective statistics anyway, even on global level, let alone local level, even tho those statistics can represent more wide area, for example, I used servers in germany (and some other countries) for few months sicne it gave me best speed untill the more-local one wasn't fixed/upgraded.

On polls, well, you know you should never trust polls, sicne they are at best biased by environment, here is a poll "proving" (if soemone would argue...) that KDE is most popular DE:
                The KDE community has created some of the best of the breed open source software and they continue to win user’s hearts, according to a new LinuxQuestions survey.

But those are very outdated polls we both used, at the time when KDE Plasma got out with stable version..., so even that factor alone could influence polls in that time frame. Also, toa dd, number of downloads isn't indicative of number of users, example, Out of all DE's, I probably downloaded few DE's more than Gnome-Shell, even tho I am using GNOME, the reason is, when i do something that requires testing on another DE, I download it, after test is finished, delete it, KDE is exception here since it does not require me to test anything on it, so I end up downloading Cinnamon 3+ times on one Gnome-Shell download, in statistics, that will show like 3 Cinnamon users to 1 GNOME user, but that isn't the case, it's 0 Cinnamon users to 1 GNOME user.

Those statistics Griffin used have same flaws of those statistics others used, but if we want to be real for a second, we hae to aknowledge that Gnome+other gnome-based DE's and/or GTK+ based DE's are wastly more popular than KDE+KDE/QT based DE's, and it is not by a small margin. Even XFCE is GTK+ based, MATE etc. and GTK+ comes from GNOME project, so the impact that project have can't be overstated.

Comment

leipero So basically we don't have credible numbers, thus GTK/Gnome is the most used. That's what Griffin keeps parroting.

It will be a happy day indeed when we accept the simple truth that we have no numbers to go by and stop trying to rank DEs. Commend them for what they do well, criticize what they don't, I wouldn't have a problem with that. But this "my DE is bigger than your DE" is just dragging down a lot of threads

Comment

Statistics are used on .de server/domain, from what I do understand (correct me if I'm wrong), those are local statistics for that one (or few) server alone, not global statistics.
                    Which is still better than polls, anyway.

depending on source, in Germany Firefox range from popularity of slightly higher than global to almost equal as Chrome, while global statistics never put Firefox more than 1/3 of Chrome share.
                    Are these statistics about browser marketshare (i.e. mostly Windows)? Because that's kinda pointless for linux.

Furthermore I don't know the dates of those statistics, if they are current or not..., but let's assume they are curent,
                    there is a tiny link in the end of the page that links to this https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/wiki...deatenschutz that says it's updated weekly

KDE have, without doubt, peak popularity in Germany, I don't think there's anyone who would deny that fact, making those statistics even more irrelevant.
                    I like how you are "without doubt" here. Please tell me more and back it up somehow with something that isn't just your own speculation.

On polls, well, you know you should never trust polls, sicne they are at best biased by environment, here is a poll "proving" (if soemone would argue...) that KDE is most popular DE:
                    http://www.cio.com/article/2881172/s...vironment.html
                    That poll still proves my point, even the most rabid pro-kde multi-distro polls don't give the "winning" DE more than 30% ish marketshare, KDE there is at like 30%, xfce is also at high percentage, while GNOME was underrepresented for some reason (probably because there is more people with Cinnamon from Linux Mint screwing up that statistic), but the overall trend is similar.
                    No obvious clear winner.

But those are very outdated polls we both used, at the time when KDE Plasma got out with stable version..., so even that factor alone could influence polls in that time frame.
                    Or the fact that GNOME 3 was crappier in 2015, of course.
                    Anyway, I just pulled a random poll from a quick Google search, these poll's value is for setting the trend more than give a snapshot of the current situation.

Also, toa dd, number of downloads isn't indicative of number of users,
                    Yeah, but the amount of people that does that isn't usually a lot. People install a DE to use their PC, not to test stuff repeatedly.

Those statistics Griffin used have same flaws of those statistics others used, but if we want to be real for a second, we hae to aknowledge that Gnome+other gnome-based DE's and/or GTK+ based DE's are wastly more popular than KDE+KDE/QT based DE's, and it is not by a small margin. Even XFCE is GTK+ based, MATE etc. and GTK+ comes from GNOME project, so the impact that project have can't be overstated.
                    aah, so you GNOME fanboi are so much butthurt sore losers that you shift the goalposts and now it's about desktop toolkits. Also Griffin pulled something like this in the past.

Sorry but Cinnamon and MATE are NOT GNOME, they are independent forks, and the fact that XFCE uses GTK does not make it GNOME.
                    They have sane GUI design, for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      They have sane GUI design, for starters.
                      According to whose study?

Comment

Working...
                      X