Clear Linux Switches From Xfce To GNOME, Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
    muncrief , what file manager do you predominantly use on XFCE?
    I use Thunar. It used to have problems crashing when renaming files but that's been fixed now. I did use Nautilus for awhile but despite my best efforts I could never get it to fit into my theme completely. I'm very sensitive about the way my desktop works and looks and if it's not right I'll just spend all my time trying to make it so.

I value beauty and the ability to customize, but above all I value efficiency. My goal is to get to all the programs and settings on my system in four mouse clicks or less, without cluttering up my desktop or taskbar with myriads of icons.

I've even developed my own Wine Manager script that allows me to create bottles that are elegantly placed in whatever menus and submenus I want. I tried PlayOnLinux numerous times but wow, it's an ungodly mess, though it's great for novices. I use various different versions of Wine, both custom and standard, and mix and match them in my Wine menu however I wish. I also have complete control over the environment they run in so I can get most things to work. I even got Band in the Box to run under Wine with Jack integration, and I think that's been about the hardest thing I've ever done.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      leipero

How do you know most people don't configure their DE's? Oh, KDE is customizable and this is problem for you? For sane people lack of ability to customize is the problem. Gnome isn't customizable, because it's based on gtk crap which makes things really complicated. Don't fool us it's an advantage. It's huge downside.
      How you managed to miss what i wrote is beyond me..., I gave an argument that KDE is NOT as customizable as you KDE fans claim it to be, i gave simple example of privacy settings, you didn't even bother to cover that section, why? If having ability to change the theme and layout out of the box (mind you GNOME can do that perfectly fine with tweak tool, in fact I don't use standard theme or layout - slightly different layout) is priority over privacy settings for you, hey, that's fine with me, but not addressing my argument is very dishonest, and I am not going into GTK+ and it's pros and cons, it's a toolkit, and it is constantly evolving, it's mostly not object oriented, and that is a good thing in my view, less confusing..., but that's beside the point.

Now let me re-quote the part of my post (with fixed typos) you have chosen to ignore:
      "I remmember when using MATE i had to delete "recently-used.xbel" and create folder in order to prevent dumb panel of tracing documents, how is that fucntional? On KDE also, but much worse, it's tracing everything, and there's literally no option of preventing panel of colecting recent documents and applications, in GNOME 3, you can completely disable any tracking by simply pressing off switch in control-center, privacy. "

From multiple studies, it is known fact that most people do not cunstomize theming etc., you would be suprized how meny people do not chage their desktop background even.
      Last edited by leipero; 25 May 2017, 09:37 AM. Reason: fixing typos..., adding response i overlooked

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Bug77. You might want to spend a bit more time on topic instead of just hating? How do you like the fact that Clear Linux and Ubuntu made the jump for the very reason I've told you. Wayland, proper QA, enterprise support?
        I don't have a problem with the switch. However "the very reason I've told you" is just another unsourced speculation of yours that you flaunt as fact.

By the way, why did you fell like you had to come to this thread and tell us WHY Clear Linux has switched, when everybody knows there's no way you can know why they did? You can speculate, but that's about it.

Comment

Who wants Wayland, proper QA, enterprise support should buy RHEL end of the road end of the story

There are other options, but who cares about any other options if everything will be the same

Comment

Bug77. Because Gnome do like 90+% of the desktop Wayland work!? LoL, do you still deny this?
            He comments as to why you comment on what someone else is doing if you think that only you are right

As i suggested, just close the platform and stop trolling. That sounds fine to me, as if don't wanna support anything else who cares, we will all buy RHEL and that is it

Comment

Bug77. Because Gnome do like 90+% of the desktop Wayland work!? LoL, do you still deny this?
              Here we go again. Another off-topic, unsubstantiated claim.

Comment

Bug77. RTFA? They want to focus on Wayland. And that means Gnome.
                Maybe they want to focus on Wayland, but that doesn't mean Gnome does 90% of the desktop Wayland work.

Comment

Not 90%, 90+%
                  Hell, 100%+ if you're pulling numbers out of your a$$.

Comment

Not 90%, 90+%
                    Maybe you can say near 99% that sounds the same, but is bigger... on the other side it near clearfy how there is no one else

Really guys if these kind of people developing this, it is not surprise people throwing shits at you whole time and big percentage also does not surprise as no one is interesting into licking asses

You are developing it like Ubuntu developed Unity, that no one else could use it normally Same shit, so what is the point? Just closed down platform and good bye.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 25 May 2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Good luck keeping up the denials as further dists will default to Gnome
                      Why further ones? Debian always defaulted to Gnome for any release, regardless it has 30% users who uses Gnome and 70% who does not use Gnome

Ubuntu and Clear linux are not stupid...
                      No one said that they are stupid, but also people here are not stupid too

OpenSUSE people probably just 20% uses Gnome and 80% who don't, so what you want? Some kind of anti-user monoculture that everybody uses your DE design... just closed it down then, make a blob of it and who cares
                      Last edited by dungeon; 25 May 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X