Clear Linux Switches From Xfce To GNOME, Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It was your comment claiming how "usable linux desktop can't be heavily customizable". Should i ask you, why not? And maybe who written that floscule into stone
    Because he can't wrap his head around a customizable DE. I bet his dream software is OS X: written to work on a handful of configurations and that's it

Comment

I can't understand why there are so many opponents to GNOME. With some tweaks and extensions it's great desktop environment. It's compact and stable (for me more stable than KDE). Client Side Decorations is great feature on smaller screens, like my laptop.

I'm not surprised with results. Mutter has ability (like any serious composition window managers) to undirect full screen window, so performance should be same as light window managers (Openbox for example). Well, I done some benchmarks with Unigine in GNOME and Fluxbox. In windowed mode fluxbox was faster by ~7FPS, in full screen mode both had same performance. This is what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Really? Why is everyone switching to GNOME?

*waiting for Griffin*
        Clear Linux is already RPM based. I'm guessing they're just following upstream?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Because he can't wrap his head around a customizable DE. I bet his dream software is OS X: written to work on a handful of configurations and that's it
          Nope, it is not that. They desinged it with Wayland in mind which can't do nothing and before even much less Same like Vulkan API which is better but harder to develop for. I understan what he say i know of HIG, but that is more of a incomplete Wayland (or not usable on Desktop) than else, mayn apps are not ported also and these who are are buggy... essentially you still have nothing but a buggy bloat there

And only problem now is, how to transform Phone idea into Desktop while X is enough/fine Trajnsition that didn't happened, they can't move because of that and not because of some floscules out of nowhere - everything is possible and should be customazible, but princess i another castle
          Last edited by dungeon; 24 May 2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Dungeon. Too bad you don't understand that customization comes with a cost. You get an exploding amount of test cases. When it get tough you can be pretty sure that volunteers are leaving. Maybe some will stay and fight the first battle only to realize it will get worse when the next feature creep hits. Or worse, someone ported your stuff to freebsd or hurd, good luck maintaining such crap. Each fix comes with two breaks.
            Of course customizations tax developers more. Yet the whole point of software is to help users, not make life easy for developers.

Do I think developers deserve nothing but pain? Hell no. But when your file manager lacks a button to take me to /, you've made life way too easy for your developers.

Comment

Dungeon. Too bad you don't understand that customization comes with a cost. You get an exploding amount of test cases.
              Someone here is ignoring that customization of GNOME is possible through the extension/theming API, and that if shit breaks with an extension it's the extension's fault, not GNOME (even if it is GNOME's that broke the API, again).

When it get tough you can be pretty sure that volunteers are leaving. Maybe some will stay and fight the first battle only to realize it will get worse when the next feature creep hits.
              So, hwn it's convenient GNOME is done by volunteers, otherwise it's done by RedHat and their mithological QA or something.

Or worse, someone ported your stuff to freebsd or hurd, good luck maintaining such crap. Each fix comes with two breaks.
              lololololol, GNOME has already been ported to FreeBSD, but since it's not officially supported, any mainteneance is on the shoulders of the porting team (FreeBSD or whoever wants GNOME there)

Also, OMG, some of those porting GNOME are the main devs themselves!!!! Run for your life!!!! https://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2014/0...rtual-machine/

Comment

Dungeon. Too bad you don't understand that customization comes with a cost. You get an exploding amount of test cases. When it get tough you can be pretty sure that volunteers are leaving. Maybe some will stay and fight the first battle only to realize it will get worse when the next feature creep hits. Or worse, someone ported your stuff to freebsd or hurd, good luck maintaining such crap. Each fix comes with two breaks.
                Who cares, at least it works for RHEL as i see now 7.4 updated it to 3.22.3. .... if it works there - mission accomplished

If it is not about RHEL i dunno about what is, neaither this Clear nor Ubuntu would switch to Ghone as If RHEL can use it, they can too - happy recompiling guys
                Last edited by dungeon; 24 May 2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I understand ditching XFCE, I ditched it too, it's old and too slowly developed (i.e. obsolete)

But why the fuck Gnome? Why not something wonderful like Enlightenment or even Cinnamon? Why fucking Gnome? I mean I could even live with KDE... just not gnome, not gnome and definitely not Unity.

Comment

rabcor , what are you using now? Enlightenment?
                    I'm getting tired of keyrings not signing in, default browser not working across all apps, etc, with XFCE. And Thunar...
                    All has been getting better but am on an i3 zenbook now, not a netbook or underpowered device. I'm hesitant to try gnome.

Comment

This is FANTASTIC news !!! Intel recognizes GNOME is now THE standard Linux desktop. The only outlier now is Opensuse and more than likely they're staying with KDE simply as a differentiator. Of course they still offer GNOME and I bet they find more of their customers going with GNOME in the future.

It will be interesting to see if Intel will find issues with GNOME and upstream them thus benefitting everyone. None the less....GNOME is the standard Linux desktop and this will help adoption going forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X