Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leipero
    replied
    starshipeleven Ok, i have multiple problems with those "statistics", let me elaborate.

Statistics are used on .de server/domain, from what I do understand (correct me if I'm wrong), those are local statistics for that one (or few) server alone, not global statistics.
    Since .de domain is domain for Germany, it does not represent actual global statistics, for example, depending on source, in Germany Firefox range from popularity of slightly higher than global to almost equal as Chrome, while global statistics never put Firefox more than 1/3 of Chrome share.
    Furthermore I don't know the dates of those statistics, if they are current or not..., but let's assume they are curent, KDE have, without doubt, peak popularity in Germany, I don't think there's anyone who would deny that fact, making those statistics even more irrelevant.

So everyone should stay skeptical about these type of selective statistics anyway, even on global level, let alone local level, even tho those statistics can represent more wide area, for example, I used servers in germany (and some other countries) for few months sicne it gave me best speed untill the more-local one wasn't fixed/upgraded.

On polls, well, you know you should never trust polls, sicne they are at best biased by environment, here is a poll "proving" (if soemone would argue...) that KDE is most popular DE:
    http://www.cio.com/article/2881172/s...vironment.html

But those are very outdated polls we both used, at the time when KDE Plasma got out with stable version..., so even that factor alone could influence polls in that time frame. Also, toa dd, number of downloads isn't indicative of number of users, example, Out of all DE's, I probably downloaded few DE's more than Gnome-Shell, even tho I am using GNOME, the reason is, when i do something that requires testing on another DE, I download it, after test is finished, delete it, KDE is exception here since it does not require me to test anything on it, so I end up downloading Cinnamon 3+ times on one Gnome-Shell download, in statistics, that will show like 3 Cinnamon users to 1 GNOME user, but that isn't the case, it's 0 Cinnamon users to 1 GNOME user.

Those statistics Griffin used have same flaws of those statistics others used, but if we want to be real for a second, we hae to aknowledge that Gnome+other gnome-based DE's and/or GTK+ based DE's are wastly more popular than KDE+KDE/QT based DE's, and it is not by a small margin. Even XFCE is GTK+ based, MATE etc. and GTK+ comes from GNOME project, so the impact that project have can't be overstated.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post
    Man, KDE fans are vocal minority for sure, I would like to see those statistics tho, I kept hearing some numbers and percents, but I didn't saw any source for it
    not all people bashing Griffin are KDE fans. dungeon uses xfce and I'm more a GNOME hater than a KDE fan.

Anyway, here is Arch linux's download statistics I talked about above https://www.archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics

Arch statistics should be relatively reliable because it does not have a default DE unlike Debian or OpenSUSE or various other distros, AND the data is collected at their download servers.

If you google for random "what is your favourite Linux Desktop" polls you usually get a relatively similar outcome https://opensource.com/life/15/7/pol...op-environment
    even if they are somewhat crappier sources due to low numbers of the participants to the poll if compared to Arch statistics.

The last time Griffin pulled up some numbers he obviously took the statistics from Fedora and Debian, where default DE is GNOME.
    He got flamed for that, so now he pulls numbers out of thin air directly.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post
    Man, KDE fans are vocal minority for sure, I would like to see those statistics tho, I kept hearing some numbers and percents, but I didn't saw any source for it
    And by vocal minority you mean we question Gnome trolls' statements?

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Come on guys! Ubuntu and Clear linux are not stupid, they are acting on what is evident. The same things I have told you. Are you really going to deny that Gnome just do a better job than the lesser desktops?

Good luck keeping up the denials as further dists will default to Gnome
    Once more, failing to present one shred of evidence in favour of your statements, you follow up with an emotional post.
    It what lets people peek into your IQ and not take you seriously.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Why further ones? Debian always defaulted to Gnome for any release, regardless it has 30% users who uses Gnome and 70% who does not use Gnome
    Also on Arch it's like that, according to their statistics.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Come on guys! Ubuntu and Clear linux are not stupid, they are acting on what is evident. The same things I have told you.
    Yes they acted on what is evident, no it is not the same things you told us.

Are you really going to deny that Gnome just do a better job than the lesser desktops?
    It's not "deny", but state what is the actual truth.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Good luck keeping up the denials as further dists will default to Gnome
    Why further ones? Debian always defaulted to Gnome for any release, regardless it has 30% users who uses Gnome and 70% who does not use Gnome

Ubuntu and Clear linux are not stupid...
    No one said that they are stupid, but also people here are not stupid too

OpenSUSE people probably just 20% uses Gnome and 80% who don't, so what you want? Some kind of anti-user monoculture that everybody uses your DE design... just closed it down then, make a blob of it and who cares
    Last edited by dungeon; 05-25-2017, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Not 90%, 90+%
    Maybe you can say near 99% that sounds the same, but is bigger... on the other side it near clearfy how there is no one else

Really guys if these kind of people developing this, it is not surprise people throwing shits at you whole time and big percentage also does not surprise as no one is interesting into licking asses

You are developing it like Ubuntu developed Unity, that no one else could use it normally Same shit, so what is the point? Just closed down platform and good bye.
    Last edited by dungeon; 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Not 90%, 90+%
    Hell, 100%+ if you're pulling numbers out of your a$$.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X