No announcement yet.

Chris Lamb Elected As New Debian Project Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG...Debian is like Nokia...always pushing more to abisme...

This man is really what Debian needs now!!

Instead a bunch of kids, without another possible adjective choose this :

OMG I am choqued!!
    Debian is no more Debian!
    You could get in Debian the best, and you prefer NOT to get it??!!

I am Sorry to say my opinion, but Mehdi, is a man that is involved in the top noch, he is "the cherry on top of the cake" that debian needed..
    After so many core advisers step down, in last "stab in the back"...,he realize the needs to make Debian Shining like in the past, as the best

Operating System that Debian was in the past, and that make Debian so Renown!!
    Debian is loosing grip, and at this pace Debian will disappear..without a god OS Debian is nothing!!!
    I don't know who gives so power to a bunch os Irresponsible kids...my god

Comment

Good lord this is a shallow, misdirected debate.

Take a look at his platform page. It's 1200+ words about mostly practical issues, outlining a (very real) need to make Debian more approachable for new users, new contributors, and third-party projects, plus some fluff about who he is and how the project is mostly doing very well. In there, diversity is mentioned in passing twice, in the context of getting more kinds of people to participate.

Chosing to solely whine about that while ignoring everything else says a lot about your focus in life.

(And as for tuxd3v, the two platforms look almost indistinguishable to me, I honestly have no idea what you're going on about.)

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
        And here's the problem, "diversity of skin color and sexuality", not "diversity" of thought. <-- that's literally all that matters.
        1. it's sexual orientation, not sexuality
        2. "diversity of thought" is a bit too fucking broad category to try to use in any practical endeavor, so yeah, ok, you are technically right but it's not applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
          It sort of is, but it also sort of isn't. Why do I say it sort-of isn't? Because the same people manufacture the problem that claim to fix it.
          Ok I agree that this is true in many cases, but I think you are blaming this Lamb guy for things he did not do.

And a lot of people (maybe not Chris Lamb but anyone claiming to tackle the diversity issue in this field) have called the entire profession stuff like a "boy's club" which both discourages women, and also paints an unfair picture of men, most of whom are completely reasonable about the idea of working with women.
          Again I think you are bunching up idiots abusing of this situation with people quoted out of contest with people that are genuinely trying to help. I mean there are many cases where it is indeed a white boy's club, maybe it's excessive to generalize it over the whole profession, but it's still an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Ok I agree that this is true in many cases, but I think you are blaming this Lamb guy for things he did not do.

Again I think you are bunching up idiots abusing of this situation with people quoted out of contest with people that are genuinely trying to help. I mean there are many cases where it is indeed a white boy's club, maybe it's excessive to generalize it over the whole profession, but it's still an issue.
            I'm not actually judging the job that Lamb has done previously, nor the job he'll do as project leader.

I'm skeptical of people who talk about corporate-bs-sounding sorts of stuff, and I'm skeptical of Lamb based on what I read in the post Michael made. But I'm not actually claiming he's screwing this up. Skepticism isn't complete denial. My comments were not intended to be some sort of be-all-end-all answer to Chris Lamb. It was just my initial thought from what I read in the post Michael made. That's it.

I'm not even saying that people who want more diversity in the field are wrong. I'm just giving reasons why I'm skeptical of people who maybe seem to focus on an issue that, honestly, is mostly out of their control anyway. Maybe Chris Lamb knows what he's doing, and his plans are reasonable, and he's not going to put artificial diversity ahead of actual product quality. Again, I'm just skeptical.

I would have withdrawn from this thread by now, but I figure I'll submit this one last post in an attempt to calm things down.

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
            Chosing to solely whine about that while ignoring everything else says a lot about your focus in life.
            I love that you think you are capable of judging someone's entire life from a forum post that you're almost definitely not interpreting correctly. Even if you were interpreting it correctly, it's a forum post. While nobody in this thread has posted anything of real value, including myself, yours is probably the worst because you don't even understand how to interpret forum posts in general. People post incomplete thoughts on forums. It's inappropriate to extrapolate that over their entire life view. Also, you're on a forum criticising people for being on a forum and criticising (or in my case, being skeptical of) other people. Not sure if you realized the hypocrisy of that.
            Last edited by Holograph; 19 April 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X