Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Lamb Elected As New Debian Project Leader

Phoronix: Chris Lamb Elected As New Debian Project Leader

Chris Lamb has unseated Mehdi Dogguy as the next Debian Project Leader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"I would look to grow the number and diversity of people attending existing meetups wherever possible." Well here's a massive red flag already.

Comment

While I think Chris Lamb could be good for Debian based on his platform I urge him to stay away from the Debian website. It does not need to be more "modern", it only needs more links to relevant stuff!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
        "I would look to grow the number and diversity of people attending existing meetups wherever possible." Well here's a massive red flag already.
        "Oh no! Not diversity!"

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

"Oh no! Not diversity!"
          All they care about is "diversity of skin color" which is bloody regressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
            All they care about is "diversity of skin color" which is bloody regressive.
            Care to explain what gives you this impression?

Diversity per-se means anything that isn't the most common in the field (straight white male), so all people that deviate from that god-appointed axiom of human perfection fall into the "diversity" category.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Care to explain what gives you this impression?

Diversity per-se means anything that isn't the most common in the field (straight white male), so all people that deviate from that god-appointed axiom of human perfection fall into the "diversity" category.
              And here's the problem, "diversity of skin color and sexuality", not "diversity" of thought. <-- that's literally all that matters.

Comment

Sounds like a bunch of corporate-type BS to me, using buzzwords and talking about goals that have little to do with the actual users of the product.

I also don't care much for focusing on diversity because it's a misconception of what is natural. How about you focus on diversity by giving everyone a fair chance to work on the product, regardless of skin color or gender or anything else. That's all that's necessary. Not sure where all these ideas about needing to attract a certain type of person come from. The only type of person that Debian needs to attract is someone capable of working on, and improving, Debian as a product. Considering someone's gender or skin color (I'd say "race" except "race" is not a real thing) when hiring is discrimination. I love the idea of women being involved with software, don't get me wrong. But when you keep telling them that women aren't accepted in software development (without people like Chris claiming to want to solve that problem), maybe... you're the real problem? How about stop telling women that careers aren't good for women and start encouraging them? You don't need to discriminate in hiring or even spend money for stuff like Outreachy. And as for "race" there are tons of non-whites in software development already.

Yes everything I just said is 100% negative, but hey, Chris himself chose to talk about corporate BS instead of improving Debian.

Edit: Just to be a little positive, there's a chance he'll do a good job in the role. I don't know. But I generally don't like the things he talked about there.
                Last edited by Holograph; 17 April 2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                  Sounds like a bunch of corporate-type BS to me, using buzzwords and talking about goals that have little to do with the actual users of the product.
                  Debian lives off social events, good PR to attract contributors and by being a nice place in general, what that guy said matters because keeping their development community happy is crucial for Debian.

Don't confuse this with random corporate bullshit, it's similar, but for a non-profit this actually matters. They don't pay people, they don't sell stuff, so they need to actually do that, they can't just lie in public every now and then.

I also don't care much for focusing on diversity because it's a misconception of what is natural. How about you focus on diversity by giving everyone a fair chance to work on the product, regardless of skin color or gender or anything else.
                  Because it needs to be visible to be a PR move. Just doing things right isn't enough, you need to show off so the average dumbfuck knows it too.

people like Chris claiming to want to solve that problem
                  He actually claimed that stuff like Outreachy was good for involving new people and was a major PR buff for GNOME, and he wanted to do the same for Debian Which is not exactly the same as what you are stating here.

The Outreachy project has been incredibly successful both in involving new developers under-represented in free software but also as a marketing coup for the GNOME project

I sense a good project leader there. Not focused on the morals but on PR and DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS.

How about stop telling women that careers aren't good for women and start encouraging them?
                  Stuff like this is encouraging them... why are you angry at it?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Stuff like this is encouraging them... why are you angry at it?
                    It sort of is, but it also sort of isn't. Why do I say it sort-of isn't? Because the same people manufacture the problem that claim to fix it.

It's these same people, coming up with these programs, that have been discouraging women in the first place. It's these people who have been saying that programming is not a very accessible job for women, which discourages women. Even if it is true that there are not a whole ton of women in the field compared to men, when you describe the issue in a stupid way such as to reinforce it, that's a bunch of crap. And then these same types of people come up with programs which cost real money and claim to solve the problems. And a lot of people (maybe not Chris Lamb but anyone claiming to tackle the diversity issue in this field) have called the entire profession stuff like a "boy's club" which both discourages women, and also paints an unfair picture of men, most of whom are completely reasonable about the idea of working with women. I understand that there are people out there who DO have an issue working with the other gender, or with someone of a different skin color, but to generalize an industry like that is not beneficial for anyone. But it hurts the women most because it convinces them that they shouldn't even try to get a foot in the door.

I don't like it. Again, I love working with a diverse group. I'm a programmer by profession myself and I've worked with men and women and whites and non-whites and honestly I would not pick any specific group as being better at programming or better at communicating. People are individuals.

But I'm highly skeptical of people who manufacture problems and then claim that we need their solutions.

This is of course all my personal opinion.
                    Last edited by Holograph; 17 April 2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X