Mark Shuttleworth Makes More Comments On Ubuntu GNOME, Mir, Convergence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Shuttleworth Makes More Comments On Ubuntu GNOME, Mir, Convergence

Phoronix: Mark Shuttleworth Makes More Comments On Ubuntu GNOME, Mir, Convergence

By now you have probably read Mark Shutttleworth's Google+ comments from Friday concerning Ubuntu GNOME, including the continuing of Snaps, UBports looking to take over Unity 8, and the desire to move quickly in supporting Ubuntu GNOME. He has now provided more follow-up comments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Mark Shuttleworth View Post
    I came to be disgusted with the hate on Mir. Really, it changed my opinion of the free software community.
    I feel the exact same way. I just can't recommend anybody joining this community anymore, it got so toxic (and sometimes you catch yourself being toxic, when responding to those people), I'm really considering using Linux only for Server and IOT stuff, because I don't see desktop going anywhere in Linux.

Comment

they have wasted more than a decade pursuing a failure while they could improve linux operating systems by KDE and wayland or gnome + wayland, so to concur to spread disaffection of many users without the ability to get any market aims if not to reduce the popularity of linux operating systems. An excellent result.

Originally posted by Up123 View Post

I feel the exact same way. I just can't recommend anybody joining this community anymore, it got so toxic (and sometimes you catch yourself being toxic, when responding to those people), I'm really considering using Linux only for Server and IOT stuff, because I don't see desktop going anywhere in Linux.
      as far as me fuck MIR and unity. To be exclusive for what? the failure!? A pletora of operating systems only to exalt their own EGO without the ability to take advantage of cooperation. People have to learn to compete with themselves so to make the better in sharing their abilities instead of using them to counteract.
      Last edited by Azrael5; 08 April 2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

KDE had shot down convergence.

In the KDE case, it was more about the personality of the leader at the time, who I think felt threatened and insecure.
        Thats not how i remember it. KDE were FOR convergence but failed because they didn't have YOUR money that you blow on a wind. KDE were against Mir and it was a necessity for convergence in your mind.

And when Canonical went mainstream, it became the focus of irrational hatred too. The very same muppets would write about how terrible it was that IOS/Android had no competition and then how terrible it was that Canonical was investing in (free software!) compositing and convergence. Fuck that shit.
        Bullshit. It is YOU who ruined the chance and instead of quick collaborative work insisted on doing Mir instead of helping to leverage Wayland protocol and add its support to Kwin or/and Mutter.

Ofcourse people weren't happy. You had all of the money and wasted them on something no one would use. You really think it'd be easier of KDE/Gnome to just rewrite compositing and all other features that depend on it completely from scratch? Build upon something thats already created THEN improve it. Thats how its done smart.

Comment

I wish you luck, but I'm feeling Ubuntu will die on desktops. You'll have to maintain every Unity like patches yourself, because Gnome won't accept anything from you. It would be easier for you to take Plasma and customize it the way you want, but I don't care. It will be funny to see faces of Ubuntu users upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10 or 18.04: 'WTF is that?!'. I also wonder how much it will cost you to make Gnome the way you want. It seems Canonical likes wasting time and resources. Blaming others who don't like your ideas is stupid. Would you accept ideas from KDE or Gnome in Unity?

Comment

What community? If one company sucks does it mean every company sucks? You're talking bullshit.

Comment

I agree, just look at that post below you.

Comment

Wait, Gnome (redhat) and KDE did not want collaboration? How come the narrative still is Ubuntu/Canonical wanted fragmentation instead it was the holy linux-"community" rejected them.
                Last edited by k1l_; 08 April 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

What people don't like about Canonical is their NIH (not-invented here) syndrome. When people feel that there are existing solutions that are good but Canonical reject them in favor of creating something that is Ubuntu-only.

That Cannical had projects that One Hundred Papercuts was awesome and people loved that.

That Canonical made Unity which some liked, and some did not like, but its filled its role in taking Ubuntu in the direction that Canonical wanted.

But people are not so hype about them using Bazaar (bzr) when everyone else is on Git.
                  That they are making Mir when the wider Linux community was adopting Wayland.

Then redundant work is being done, resources are divided, and there is fragmentation.
                  They should have just built Unity 8 on top of Wayland instead.

Instead of wasting all that effort into porting Gtk and Qt to Mir, they should have adopted Wayland and helped out with porting the toolkits to Wayland.
                  People would have appreciated that and loved Canonical for it.
                  People don't hate Ubuntu because it is popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    they have wasted more than a decade pursuing a failure while they could improve linux operating systems by KDE and wayland or gnome + wayland, so to concur to spread disaffection of many users without the ability to get any market aims if not to reduce the popularity of linux operating systems. An excellent result.

as far as me fuck MIR and unity. To be exclusive for what? the failure!? A pletora of operating systems only to exalt their own EGO without the ability to take advantage of cooperation. People have to learn to compete with themselves so to make the better in sharing their abilities instead of using them to counteract.
                    We get it. You hate.

Comment

Working...
                    X