All FreeDesktop.org Projects Now Appear To Have A Contributor Covenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post
    If you can't explain it, in your own words, you are appealing solely to authority. You talk about my "state of total ignorance" when you can't explain your assertion to any extent. You instead rely on authority figures to make the same vapid assertions and move the goal posts as far as they need to move to feel good about yourself.
    Dude I'm not the one saying the scientists and academics are conspiring to indoctrinate society because they're "activists" swept up in a "critical education"movement. I'm not the one who claims that scientists are wrong and I'm right. You're the one making these bizarre claims. The onus on you is to prove your claims.

Likewise, if I claimed Linus Torvalds is not a Finnish male as everyone claims he is, but is actually a Chinese transexual who had really good plastic surgery, the onus would be on me to prove it, not you do disprove it.

Comment

Originally posted by damonlynch View Post
      Why don't you ask one of their actual scientists to explain the connection between the information they say they need and what evolutionary biologists and physical anthropologists say about human variation? The answer is sure to be interesting.
      The third link codeagent gave was a concrete study where race was predictive of an outcome; but you choose to be sarcastic rather than present an argument. It seems like you don't have a leg to stand on.

Comment

Dude I'm not the one saying the scientists and academics are conspiring to indoctrinate society because they're "activists" swept up in a "critical education"movement. I'm not the one who claims that scientists are wrong and I'm right. You're the one making these bizarre claims. The onus on you is to prove your claims.

Likewise, if I claimed Linus Torvalds is not a Finnish male as everyone claims he is, but is actually a Chinese transexual who had really good plastic surgery, the onus would be on me to prove it, not you do disprove it.
        I am not making a wild assertion, I gave a clearly-defined rationale. You have not addressed the rationale. Your response to the rationale was an appeal to authority, coupled with an assault on my character (my favourite kind, guilt by association "It's irrelevant if you get your information from Nicholas Wade or a white supremacist website or you just make stuff up as you go along."), coupled with a threat of social consequences. Your argument doesn't even have enough of a leg to sit down.
        Last edited by microcode; 09 April 2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

The third link codeagent gave was a concrete study where race was predictive of an outcome; but you choose to be sarcastic rather than present an argument. It seems like you don't have a leg to stand on.
          I wasn't being sarcastic. I think the answer would be interesting, and I think codeagent should ask and see if any of the authors reply.

Comment

I wasn't being sarcastic. I think the answer would be interesting, and I think codeagent should ask and see if any of the authors reply.
            Now you're just being disingenuous. This is what you said:

Why don't you ask one of their actual scientists to explain the connection between the information they say they need and what evolutionary biologists and physical anthropologists say about human variation? The answer is sure to be interesting.
            You're clearly referring to asking one of the scientists at the national bone marrow donation registry, not one of the authors of the paper linked from Nature who didn't "say they need" anything.

This is where we stop, it's clear that you're not here in good faith.
            Last edited by microcode; 09 April 2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I am not making a wild assertion, I gave a clearly-defined rationale. You have not addressed the rationale. Your response to the rationale was an appeal to authority, coupled with an assault on my character, coupled with a threat of social consequences. Your argument doesn't even have enough of a leg to sit down.
              Conspiracy theorists sure do love bringing up this "appeal to authority" business, as if it's terrible intellectual sin to draw upon the work of those who are recognized authorities on some or other topic. Naturally you microcode consider yourself a self-styled authority on race, demanding that others engage your ideas instead of you engaging the scientific consensus. Cute.

Comment

Ethnicity is not the same as race. Ethnicity implies the nation of you ancestors origins. A person can be French and German and Indian, but that person probably isn't white. Also ethnicity implies a certain amount of geological morphology and morphology caused by disease prevalent in that regions past history. In many cases it's possible to ascribe a percentage chance of some phenomena applying to specific ethnic group. Sickle cell anemia as one example. But that only happens as a side affect of having already collected data and applying statistical analysis to various ethnic groups and has nothing at all to do with race.
                Last edited by duby229; 09 April 2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Ethnicity is not the same as race..
                  I totally agree. However in the U.S. plenty of people treat them as if they're one and the same, which makes using these terms precisely difficult. And yup there are fascinating geographic dimensions to human variation, like sickle cell disease, which I mentioned in an earlier reply.

Comment

Ah, the poor oppressed white males are out in large numbers today.

Comment

Good for FreeDesktop.org! Hopefully that results in an environment less toxic than this forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X