No announcement yet.

Mark Shuttleworth Reportedly Returning To Role As Canonical CEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not about the gender, it's about abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
      linux has always been a sinking ship...it never had any marketshare. Lets' face it, anything not ubuntu is ten years behind. Without unity i might still be on windows.
      wat!?
      a
      t
      !?

Comment

I bet we will see a renewal of Ubuntu innovation. IMO 8.04 was the best release, it was ground-breaking. When it turned purple, it was all downhill from then on. That was 10.04, a horrible release.

As far as female CEOs in tech, Lisa Su is the best thing to happen to AMD in years.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          The success stories of Yahoo, IBM, AMD and now Canonical are perfect proof that we need even more quotas for women in every field, especially in IT, because equality or something.
          Talibans, talibans everywhere.

Comment

Linux has always been a sinking ship...it never had any marketshare.
            Except maybe on computing cluster, where nearly all of the TOP500 are running some Linux variant.
            And except on cloud servers.
            And except on modem, nearly every last modem and router runs some Linux + Busybox. Including the modem through which you're publicizing your critique.
            And except on smartphones, where android is the dominant platform with Linux kernel (+ google's weird user space).
            And except on countless smart devices around you (ex.: some smart TV's like Samsung's. E-books like Kobo's. GPS SatNav's like Tomtom's. In car infotainment. etc.)

Well basically Linux never had any markshare, except on everything beside the desktop.
            Outside of desktop, the Linux kernel (usually paired with GNU, Busybox or Google's user space) is nearly universally the dominant platform.

And when I say "desktop", I literally mean the OS on which you work on a daily basis on your workstation.
            Linux is in fact *ALSO* running somewhere inside your workstation : the small low-power SoC embed in the northbridge that helps remote managemend (Called "Intel ME (Management Engine)" by Intel, and called "IPMI" by anybody else. Basically a minimalistic webserver/VNC allowing administrator to remotely mange your workstation even if it is powered down).

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              The success stories of Yahoo, IBM, AMD and now Canonical are perfect proof that we need even more quotas for women in every field, especially in IT, because equality or something.
              No, for Unity/Mir/Convergence fiasco blame somebody else [vision doomed to fail]. As an example Apple chose not to fuse their DesktopOS with Tablet/PhoneOS.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                Linux is in fact *ALSO* running somewhere inside your workstation :
                Now it's also inside 3G/4G modem cards/dongles.
                Qualcomm ones here https://osmocom.org/news/63
                And also most modern Huawei LTE dongles have some kind of crappy Android system inside, as after you switch on debug mode you can then connect with adb (android debug bridge) and confirm that yes, it's Linux/Android.

Comment

anything not Ubuntu is ten years behind. Without Unity I might still be on Windows.
                  You can always go back to Windows now, I think no one in the OSS community is going to miss you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Except maybe on computing cluster, where nearly all of the TOP500 are running some Linux variant.
                    And except on cloud servers.
                    And except on modem, nearly every last modem and router runs some Linux + Busybox. Including the modem through which you're publicizing your critique.
                    And except on smartphones, where android is the dominant platform with Linux kernel (+ google's weird user space).
                    And except on countless smart devices around you (ex.: some smart TV's like Samsung's. E-books like Kobo's. GPS SatNav's like Tomtom's. In car infotainment. etc.)

Well basically Linux never had any markshare, except on everything beside the desktop.
                    Outside of desktop, the Linux kernel (usually paired with GNU, Busybox or Google's user space) is nearly universally the dominant platform.
                    I don't care which OS runs my router. It may be FreeBSD, QNX, WinNT or anything else. I won't even notice if it will change.
                    I don't care which OS runs cloud servers. I receive some kind of service and don't know how it is implemented.
                    I don't care which OS runs my smartphones and smart devices. Most of them are powered by some ancient crippled Linux version and most of them don't even allow me to enter console.
                    But I _do care_ which OS run my desktops and laptops. Because I interact with it every day and feel it's strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

No, for Unity/Mir/Convergence fiasco blame somebody else [vision doomed to fail].
                      I hope Jane Silber isn't falling on the sword for this. Normally I'd say the buck stops with the CEO, but in this particular case I agree with onicsis.
                      Last edited by eidolon; 07 April 2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X