Canonical Reportedly Slashing Jobs, Seeking Outside Investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Wasn't it actually that systemd was inspired by Apple's launchd and sought to replace Upstart's architecture that Poettering disagreed with?
    It was inspired by both (and maybe also Solaris', not sure anymore).

Comment

normal, when some departament ends, the ppl are resign or fired, always the same story. It's time to put some of these guys working in gnome 3 since their want this for future and put as default with ubuntu 17.10, I can't see the point to maintain unity 7 since they finish unity project

Comment

While a MSFT investment wouldn't be out of the ordinary today, prior investments by MSFT in a distro has proven ghastly. Just ask Xandros.

If Canonical sell to RH, that would be the end of Ubuntu. Why would they want to prop them up?

Dell is broke buying EMC, they don't have any dough. The next candidate would be Citrix, but they just unloaded a bunch of baggage in 2016, don't think they want more.

Symantec has no interest in an OS and they too are trying to shed products.

Cisco buys anything that moves, but an OS wouldn't be anymore strategic than Linksys was.

IBM already has AIX and a strategy with Red Hat for integration. No points there.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Which in worst case scenario would end as about 300 non-cows
          Sometimes your posts are very hard to read/understand. But you make laugh every once in a while! :P

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            While a MSFT investment wouldn't be out of the ordinary today, prior investments by MSFT in a distro has proven ghastly. Just ask Xandros.
            Xandros was spun off of Corel (remember Corel Linux?) when Microsoft invested in Corel to avoid antitrust action. Microsoft later invested directly in Xandros to gain arms-length support for its server management software (Oracle, for example, would not work directly with Microsoft). Xandros then shut down its Linux distro because it was losing money and renamed itself Bridgeways and just made management packs for Microsoft System Center. It wasn't Microsoft's investment that killed Xandros, just the opposite. It was mostly the fact the people expect their desktops to come without cost, just like Microsoft Windows does to all intents and purposes..

I was working at Xandros when all this went down. I have no inside information on what's happening at Canonical at this time.

A desktop OS is a commodity enabling technology. I don't think even Microsoft makes much money off of Windows any more.

Comment

I did not see the news anywhere but I read on Wikipedia that Mir is also discontinued...

Comment

If Microsoft ends up buying Canonical the first thing they will do is shut down Ubuntu desktop and keep only cloud and server stuff. It's in Microsoft's best interest that the most popular Linux desktop dies.

Comment

Frankly ive been in the Redhat/Fedora camp for ages and never really understood the interest in Ubuntu. That being said seeing people being laid off sucks royally. We can hope that Shuttlewirth can recover the budiness but i really think Ubuntus favor in the community is coming to an end. Ununtu just doesnt seem to be the hot distro anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Frankly ive been in the Redhat/Fedora camp for ages and never really understood the interest in Ubuntu. That being said seeing people being laid off sucks royally. We can hope that Shuttlewirth can recover the budiness but i really think Ubuntus favor in the community is coming to an end. Ununtu just doesnt seem to be the hot distro anymore.
                    Canonical has never actually made a profit and has mostly been living off of Shuttleworth's pot of gold, and I'm guessing Shuttleworth's pot of gold is reaching it's end. It's incredibly unlikely therefore that Canonical can turn it around.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Canonical has never actually made a profit and has mostly been living off of Shuttleworth's pot of gold, and I'm guessing Shuttleworth's pot of gold is reaching it's end. It's incredibly unlikely therefore that Canonical can turn it around.
                      According to multiple interviews there are departments in Canonical that are profitable (e.g. the server / cloud side).
                      This would be the most interesting aspect for an investor, this and the userbase which is still quite large.

What I don't understand is the fact the distros don't want to earn money.
                      Instead of burning money into Mir or the phone why didn't they create a nice and working app store based on snaps / flatpak?
                      Why don't the improve the developer experience e.g. write nice documentation for application devs?
                      With this large userbase they could sell stuff, if they only wanted...

Comment

Working...
                      X