Canonical Reportedly Slashing Jobs, Seeking Outside Investment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well, these "outside investors" could be Microsoft also and Michael have right to guess
    And I have the right to point out that he's being a shitstirrer. I guess you think that Obama "might have" been born in Kenya, and that people had the "right" to guess? Or that the moon landings "might have been" faked? Maybe the earth is flat? Can you guess that?

We have a term for all that "guessing", it's called being retarded.

Comment

Even Mark's money is finite if Canonical is not profitable for 13 years.
      Let's see if they find an investor who does not axe the non-profitable desktop.

Comment

Well, that's bad news. It did sound like this was coming, based on yesterday's post. I just hope that Canonical doesn't completely lose their dedication to libre software (although they already did partly lose that).

The problem with all commercially driven efforts I.e with the goal of producing profits will compromise on the principles of libre software. Redhat has found a way to make this work, and they don't compromise on libre software. Yes, they may write some closed source software, but majority is open source software, and they contribute directly upstream and not as an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          We have a term for all that "guessing", it's called being retarded.
          That statement in of itself is retarded. Ever heard of a hypothesis, or a postulate? These are effectively just guesses that have some basis of evidence. Do you think Galileo, Einstein, Aristotle, Newton, etc were retarded? Because they all made "educated guesses" and were famous for them. The equations and proofs they made were inspired by these guesses. Even where they were explicitly wrong, there were logical reasons for their thoughts.

Blindly making a guess without any basis of evidence is retarded. For example: what you were doing.

Sure, maybe Michael is being a "shitstirrer" for the sake of it, but, his guess has reasonable evidence to back it up, and therefore is not "retarded".
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 06 April 2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

The best option would be if Canonical is bought by Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Agreed, except Upstart did come before systemd. I think I even read that part of the reason systemd exists is because they liked the goal of Upstart but didn't like the actual innards so they made a competing product.
              Wasn't it actually that systemd was inspired by Apple's launchd and sought to replace Upstart's architecture that Poettering disagreed with?

Comment

I guess Microsoft have cut of their funding now...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                  The best option would be if Canonical is bought by Red Hat.
                  But why?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    * Has a tendency to complicate things for allied forces (FreeBSD vs NATO)
                    I'm totally with Poettering in his point about actually using Linux's features. If you never use more than POSIX, what's the point of these OSes being different? No, the use of cgroups and other great linux features is totally worthwhile. If FreeBSD wants to copy these features, or better alternatives, then cool - we get competition pushing OSes to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                      I'm totally with Poettering in his point about actually using Linux's features. If you never use more than POSIX, what's the point of these OSes being different? No, the use of cgroups and other great linux features is totally worthwhile. If FreeBSD wants to copy these features, or better alternatives, then cool - we get competition pushing OSes to get better.
                      Personally, I don't really mind this, but I know others do. The only thing I don't like about systemd is how bloated it is. That, and I find it more tedious when it comes to setting up your own processes. I agree with your sentiments.

Comment

Working...
                      X