Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

There is a whole lot of "we" out there that disagrees with you, they are professionals and they gladly used Unity, NASA included or you think they are amateurs. There is no WE, everyone uses what he or she likes and Linux has A LOT of desktop environments to choose from, why are you bitching about something YOU dont like and have the audacity to project the "we" like your opinion is valid for everyone? Use some other *buntu flavor or some other distribution and move on. Linux users can be such crybabies sometimes.
    My "we" includes Canonical, apparently, so your point is flaccid. You can keep your speak-n-spell My First GUI. Myself and the rest of the pro's ("we") will be using a grown up desktop.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
      This will affect the company and product image in the long run. They look like one of those small hobyst distributions that keep changing ideas just to be on the spot.

And that's why real corporations use RHEL.
      ^ This exactly. Feels like amateur hour making abrupt changes in course like that. I can vouch for real corporations using RHEL - I manage around $300k of annual RHEL licensing here, servers as well as workstations. When you have a business to run, you need stability, consistency, and maturity. The trendy flavour of the day stuff doesn't cut it.

Comment

• Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

My "we" includes Canonical, apparently, so your point is flaccid. You can keep your speak-n-spell My First GUI. Myself and the rest of the pro's ("we") will be using a grown up desktop.
        Maybe you will be shocked to learn that I used Linux long before Ubuntu even existed, in fact since 1990s.

Comment

^ This exactly. Feels like amateur hour making abrupt changes in course like that. I can vouch for real corporations using RHEL - I manage around $300k of annual RHEL licensing here, servers as well as workstations. When you have a business to run, you need stability, consistency, and maturity. The trendy flavour of the day stuff doesn't cut it.
          Discover the range of industries, people and services that are using Ubuntu right now. Netflix. Snapchat. Dropbox. Uber. Tesla…and the International space station – what do they all have in common? They run on Ubuntu. To celebrate our upcoming 16.04 LTS we wanted to shine a bit of light on how many people in the […]

I guess someone needs to tell these corporations they arent "real corporations". You know because torsionbar28 thinks they are amateurs.

Comment

• Originally posted by xmorph View Post

That table isn't right. When i install GNOME3 desktop on my Gentoo linux i get about 1GB of ram usage, with KDE/Plasma5 about 400MB of RAM!. Also Gnome apps are slower and uses too much of cpu time and hdd load on startup.
            It's because gnome apps are usually written in some bloated crap like c# or python.

Comment

• Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
              Anybody who knows anything about shuttleworth knows he is an incompetent leader and an abusive asshole of a manager. The asshole just got lucky in his 20s and now thinks he's God gift's to software and open source. Finally people begin to realize that the emperor has no clothes. Just read the review at glassdoor for Canonical. He's a joke. A rich joke of a person. I could have saved him a many million dollars by telling him he's a nutjob from the start. But then again I wouldn't interview in that shithole of a company so we couldn't meet.
              So you never worked at Canonical and dont know Mark Shuttleworth personally, yet you think you are qualified to make such claims, you sir are the epitome of credibility.

Comment

• What a shit show. I don't check my news sources for a few days and then I see this. wow.
                I've switched to Windows 10 and loving all things C#, so I have been giving zero f's for a while about this topic. Rooting for Mir a little, since everyone hated it.
                I wonder how much money they wasted on this vaporware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
                  Actually LXQt is a good desktop! At least we have some sanity here.
                  It is, I use it on devices that don't need to be running the full-blown Plasma 5. That's pretty much the target audience, too.

Comment

Unity was confusing and unpleasant to use, disrupting traditional desktop metaphors and harming productivity. Gnome 3 is much the same. Change != improvement. Why re-invent the wheel? The future of the productive business desktop and technical workstation is something like MATE. We don't need a phone or tablet GUI on the desktop, we need a desktop that behaves like a desktop, exactly the way professional users expect it to. Want to develop funky bizarre new GUI's? Great, make them an optional add-on - not the default install.
                    When you write such a bunch of subjective idiocy, please specify next time that it is your personal opinion, and don't say "we" or have the honesty to use "I think Unity was confusing and unpleasant", just engage yourself and only yourself, don't try to make it a general thing or involve your imaginary "we" friends, narrow it down explicitely to your own very little personal subjective opinion. Don't try and make it objective by fooling the reader. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by killyou View Post

I thought for a second you were serious but then you mentioned wobbly windows
                      Laugh all you want.

You don't know what you're talking about then.

Just use them and then switch to Gnome (for trying it out) or Windows (professional idiocracy), and back.
                      You'll feel like you were in the 21st century then time travelled to static blocks of communism and eventually came back to the future.

I don't like bling bling and I've dropped everything about the aiglx/glx/cube era (and successor Compiz) but the feeling of smoothness brought by wobbly windows I can't live without.

Comment

Working...
                      X