No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Canonical contributes to Gnome, their ideas, their bad decisions and craziness will contaminate a healthy and thriving ecosystem.

It's not Unity that I hated, It was Canonical's blatant disregard to listening to the community - I probably had 50+ posts fall on deaf ears articulating what Unity needs to change to make me a happy user.

I am not pleased at the thought of Canonical rejoining the rest of the community in any effort.

Comment

If Canonical contributes to Gnome, their ideas, their bad decisions and craziness will contaminate a healthy and thriving ecosystem.

It's not Unity that I hated, It was Canonical's blatant disregard to listening to the community - I probably had 50+ posts fall on deaf ears articulating what Unity needs to change to make me a happy user.

I am not pleased at the thought of Canonical rejoining the rest of the community in any effort.

Comment

Finally no more Mir nonsense.
        Unity was kind of ok. More of a KDE/XFCE guy.

Nice to have a confession from Shuttleworth.

Comment

I am sad. Unity 7 is my best productive environment by far. I hope the developers fork the project and maintain it independently. Thankfully I kept a second eye to KDE and 5.9 is at a very good stage. One thing is certain, I rather move to windows than Gnome 3.

Comment

Ubuntu did a right decision here, trying to compete with the whole universe being a rather small company will just take them nowhere,
            As a KDE user I've never used either of them extensively, but when I did I found both of them to be quite good. Ditching Unity entirely atfer all these years kind of feels like a waste - I mean, it's a perfectly fine desktop, some people like it and have grown used to it, some people don't and use something else. The only issue I have with it is that during development, apparently zero fucks were given about the rest of the Linux community and it ended up being basically a Ubuntu-only thing that turned out to break Gnome 3 installs in the process.

The latter is a perfect example of what blog post calls fragmentation. Mir aside, their work would probably have been much more appreciated if there had been more interaction with the community where it actually mattered.

Comment

They didn't say which version of GNOME they are going to. I do hope it is Gnome 2 (you know... the professional / productive one that all the kids have forgotten about)!

So perhaps all those burks who invested in the Unity desktop can finally choose something standard and correct this time rather than something fancy and gimmicky.
              So if going back to my predictions one year ago... next up to be dropped / deprecated will be:

Systemd
              Unity Game Engine
              Swift
              .NET
              Last edited by kpedersen; 05 April 2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Could you guys be just a little more specific when you write that you like or don't like something? I have little clue what you are talking about...it sounds too much like marketing in disguise.

Comment

I am just happy, that Wayland will be finally done next week now, since no developer has to do twice the work since MIR exists

I am curious what happens to unity7 or unity8 now. I really like Unity7 and i know a lot of user so. Gnome-Shell doesnt fullfill the needs. If unity is not maintained anymore then maybe lxqt will be my new home then.

Comment

just when I mentioned the other week that "I totally can get used to this unity or what it is called" ;-)
                    #Unboxing and first impressions of an #Dell #XPS13 9360 Developer Edition with Linux. #Ad Dell XPS & more @Amazon: http://services.exactcode.de/amzn.cgi?inde...

Comment

Any room to fit a conspiracy theory in here - Western governments are pressuring for a sole monitorable platform for all communications, a monopoly that can seperate the Commies from the capitalists.

Comment

Working...
                      X