No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the intelligent growth in GNOME and grafting much of OS X only a fool would expect him to do otherwise.

Comment

My condolences to the developers of Mir and Unity.
      I was not expecting this. (Not this sudden and drastic.)
      I hope this means Ubuntu developers will contribute more to existing projects. I didn't really like Unity that much, but I have no problem with people making their own DE. I hope Ubuntus/Unities developers will deliver a Gnome desktop that would please Ubuntu's current user base.

Comment

What if the real convergence was to finally use Gnome + Wayland (like everyone else) ?
        On a positive note, the Linux desktop will finally converge to a "standard" solution which should be good for everyone.
        There is enough diversity with others historical DE, no need to add another one.

Comment

/r/linux in a nutshell.

Comment

I hope that Canonical puts some resources upstream after this decision too as a few more hands can make a big difference to Gnome and gnome shell.

Comment

It makes sense to do it. The Linux world lost something. But I hope they will go on and further with their Ubuntu Core strategy.

Comment

If you go from Gnome 3 to Gnome 2, it's almost like going into the future where efficiency has overtaken shinny. The only exception is quick launching software, but every other aspect of the UI is better in 2 than 3. That said, I'm glad unity is leaving. It was doubly useless.

Comment

Better late than never.

Comment

It's like 4 years too late, but better late than never, right?

Comment

I just started to like Unity, damn. Why not port it to Wayland and spend their time useful? :/

Comment

Working...
                      X